Tuesday, August 04, 2009

On the other hand …

This morning, I have posted my review of Chris Cleave’s The Other Hand at Vulpes Libris. What can I say? It’s a novel about Nigeria, exile and supremely irritating children. As you can see I didn’t love it. And it’s certainly getting an interesting response. I’m only glad I don’t have to read it again. Deep deep sigh.

At work, I’m still struggling to make sense of my new appraisal form. I think I might lose the will to live shortly, and whether the boss will get any sense out of my responses is anyone’s guess. I fear a challenging review might well lie ahead …

In spite of the rain and threat of rain, I walked into town at lunchtime and attempted to do some more interesting shopping than yesterday. Um, I bought a polo shirt and a pair of tights. Well, I snagged my old pair (yes, I only have two, one for wearing and one for spare – thus making me the anti-fashion icon of the age, no doubt) at Glyndebourne. My, how posh. So I must replace them before the next opera comes along. Noblesse oblige, don’t you know.

Ooh and I’ve signed a copy apiece of The Bones of Summer for Carol (yesterday) and for Vicky at the Health Centre (today). Many thanks, both! I hope you enjoy the read.

Meanwhile, this week’s heroes are the Welcome Week Volunteers (yes, we have some, hurrah!), Lord H (for dealing with a wasp’s nest last night, double hurrah), and the outgoing Dean (for being a Good Egg, much missed already).

Tonight, I might try to look once more (when oh when will I ever finish it??) at that dang short story about the post that I’m still working on, but really who can tell? It depends on my energy levels. However, let’s not forget today’s Rainbow Extravaganza where the focus is on Syd McGinley.

And there’s Desperate Romantics on TV, hurrah. So I look forward to the developing traumas between Ruskin, poor Mrs Ruskin and Millais. Whilst on the subject of the small screen, I must say that last night’s Rupert Everett/Lord Byron programme wasn’t half as good as Part One was. I think poor Rupert must have peaked, my dears … Surely the great Lord B is worth more than that?

Today’s nice things:

1. Not having to read The Other Hand again
2. Vulpes Libris review
3. Signing copies of Bones
4. Heroes
5. Thinking about a short story
6. Rainbow month
7. TV.

Anne Brooke - thinking about writing, almost
Vulpes Libris – taking an even-handed approach to publishing gimmickry …

4 comments:

Nik Perring said...

I don't own tights. And I'm not a style icon. Do these things go together? ;)

Anne Brooke said...

Nonsense - you're the biggest style icon I know!!!

:))

Axxx

Jilly said...

I will have to evict you from your pedestal as anti fashion icon of the age, Anne. I do not own a pair of tights or stockings. In winter I wear socks and in summer I don't wear either! If I need to go somewhere very formal I have to go out and buy a pair of hold up stockings!

Anne Brooke said...

Ah, but you're wild and free!! Which is an icon unto itself.

:))

Axxx