Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Freshers' Week Day Three

And the last day of my working week, thank goodness. Though, having said that, it hasn't been so bad today. Library duties at the registration in the morning weren't great, but only an hour so not as bad as it could have been. And the students seemed brighter and chattier than yesterday (probably less exhausted ...), so that was okay. Later in the morning, we had two upset freshers in the office - I actually prefer this as I'm dealing with people in small, do-able numbers, rather than great and frightening swathes of them. Between us, Ruth and I managed to sort them out, with the help of tissues, fluffy pens and the use of my phone, so I think they were much calmer when they left. And, ye gods, I even felt humanly useful for once - so that was nice.

Lunchtime counselling with Zoe was great. I talked about how depressed I was last week, and the lowness I feel this week, which was helpful - and had a long discussion about how I think I ought to live more "organically", from the inside, rather than trying to follow structures which other people use or impose on me. Talking about this really got my energy levels fizzing, so I seriously think it's something I ought to move towards doing, or doing more often. I'm going to try to do things I enjoy, rather than what everyone anticipate or expects. Hell, sometimes I just want to be free to be myself - and I think it's a journey worth taking.

This afternoon was the first of this academic year's meetings to minute. And today it was the Nursery Management Group with scary Charmian. Actually she was quite smiley, so maybe she's warming towards me at last. Still haven't got an effing clue what they're going on about and I've zilch interest in children, but I got most of it down and hope it makes sense when I get the first draft done.

Things in the office between the boss and me seem to be better as well, which is something of a relief. I'm still looking around to see what's out there, but the edge of desperation has eased. Thank God. And tonight, it's TV and flopping. Bliss.

Today's nice things:

1. Counselling
2. Helping the upset students in the office
3. Getting Freshers' Week over with.

Anne Brooke
http://www.annebrooke.com
http://www.goldenford.co.uk

No comments: