Saturday, January 19, 2008

Haircuts, Legal Fictions and the struggling author

Lynda came bright and early today to cut my hair - we only just had time for baths before she arrived. Mind you, knowing how efficient she is, she's probably been sitting outside all night as she does so hate being late. Anyway, I now have a chic new cut which will last until I wash it tomorrow, dammit - so no bugger at all will notice when I go into work on Monday. They never do.

I've also been struggling with the edits to The Gifting - certainly not as enjoyable as yesterday, but I should know by now that it's par for the course for any kind of writing. Some days it's the best thing ever (or almost!) and some days nothing makes sense. So, I have done seven pages. Most of which involved taking a section from a later chapter and inserting it earlier in the chapter I'm actually looking at. Well, it makes some kind of sense - I hope. But I do really have to get out of Chapter Seven soon or my brain will implode. Either that or make the whole ruddy thing two chapters. We'll see.

This afternoon, Lord H and I have been to see "Legal Fiction" at the Yvonne Arnaud Theatre - a John Mortimer double bill. Edward Fox was fab, as indeed were the other two actors. Two nice classy plays with a dash of wit and stardust. We preferred the second one as there was more visual action involved - though both had originally been radio plays. Well worth a look if they come your way.

Tonight, I shall be struggling womanfully on through the hells of Chapter Seven and hoping I can see Chapter Eight in the distance, somewhere ... And of course "Primeval" is on TV, so I can't miss that. Still the bloody ironing to do though. Damn.

Today's nice things:

1. Haircuts
2. Theatre
3. Primeval.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website
Goldenford Publishers

2 comments:

Graeme K Talboys said...

Love 'Primeval' - great Saturday evening entertainment. And dinosaurs.

Anne Brooke said...

Very true! You can't go wrong with dinosaurs.

:))

A
xxx