Friday, August 31, 2007

Hot Golfer and a quick reversal

I've managed to get my character studies for The Bones of Summer into some kind of sensible order and with enough content to spark me off. So hurrah indeed! It's given me one or two incredibly useful ideas for people's motives and where I go from here, so that's a relief. One of the ideas in fact came totally out of left field and I thought: yes, that's why it happens as it will do. That makes sense. I do love it in this writing game when you get those moments when your skin tingles. It's great. It keeps you going. And God knows how you need to be kept going.

With that happiness filling my head, I've had one of my best golf games ever, I think. And certainly one of my most consistent. Hell, I was just rocking - and, believe me, that's rarely the case. My tee shots were the straightest they've ever been for sure. Marian and I were just hysterical with laughter over it all, and boy did I get cocky. Bloody hell, I could have spat at the ball and it might well have gone happily onto the fairway. I'll revel in it while I can, as you can guarantee that this "In The Zone" feeling won't last! Indeed, the very sweet old gent in front of us wisely said that a good golf game is not given, but lent by the Lord for a time, and we must enjoy it until it's taken away again. Too bloody right, mate!

Afterwards I went shopping in Godalming and was so psyched up that I actually reversed (yes!! Reversed!! You did read that right ...) into a car park space first time. Ye gods and little fishes - will the day's miracles never end? We-ell, I thought, I understand my character, I've just played a shit-hot game of golf and, even though I'm a woman, I can bloody well reverse into that space. Which was exactly what I did. The only thing missing at that point was a swift round of applause from the passers-by, but I suppose I must come down to earth sometime. Honestly, my head was so big by the time I got back home that I'm surprised I managed to get into the flat at all.

This afternoon, I have submitted some poems to "The Seventh Quarry" poetry magazine, read through and made suggestions for work in my Writewords groups, and had someone give me some brilliant suggestions for changes to Chapter Two of The Bones of Summer which I have now done. Many thanks indeed, Susan.

Later on, I'd better get the Wedgwood out for tonight's dinner with friends and make sure it looks presentable. We don't have enough normal crockery for six people, and Lord alone knows where we're going to put the table, but I'm sure we'll cope somehow. I'm looking forward to seeing Robin & Liz and their partners - we always have a really good evening, if late! Robin is something of a night owl really. But you know me - I must admit it will be nice to put the flat back to how we usually have it afterwards. Lordy, but I'd best have a bath too, and put my non-golf clothes on!

Today's nice things:

1. Getting excited by my character studies
2. Golf
3. Reversing into a space with style and panache!

Anne Brooke
Anne's website

5 comments:

Cathy said...

Well, I think you are very brave to reverse into a parking space. This week I haven't even been able to reverse out of one without incident...

Anonymous said...

Anne this is absolutely your week! It all sounds fab and still more fun to come. Have a great time.

As for the crockery, I've decided that eclectic is the only way to go. That way you don't have to worry about buying matching pieces all the time or breaking any.

What are you cooking nice then?

Sue xx

Anne Brooke said...

Poor you, Cathy - hope all well now. Actually, I think I can only reverse well once every ten years ...

Ooh and thanks, Sue! Lord H is doing trout fillets (with stuffed tomatoes for our vegetarian) and a summer pudding. I don't do the cooking - I do the talking and the washing-up!

:))

A
xxx

Anonymous said...

Sounds good to me with both the food and your duties! :-)

Sue xx

Anne Brooke said...

It is astonishing how many pots & pans Lord H contrives to use though!!!

:))

A
xxx