Monday, November 19, 2007

Reflexology, Amazon mysteries and tackling Christmas

Spent the morning catching up with emails and organising meetings on top of the meetings that have already been organised. Just in case there aren’t enough. All this is made more exciting by the new system for booking catering – which has snuck up on us without trumpeting its approach. Instead of the usual email, there’s a lovely new form where you have to try to remember project codes without being prompted. A challenge too far for a Monday really, but I think I sussed it. In the end. I’ll know if I’ve done it right by whether food actually turns up on the day or not. My, how I like to live dangerously – I now have visions of starving academics weeping over empty plates.

And the new Starbucks is finally open! I haven’t tried it out yet, but will have to see if I can squeeze into the enormous queues sometime this week. Ruth is shocked that I would opt for a decaff – but, ye gods, I’m hyper enough without needing help. Can you imagine what I’d be like with caff??

I’ve also posted the requested copy of The Hit List to Jill Weekes so hope that gets to you okay, Jill. Thanks again for asking about it!

Had my reflexology session at lunchtime – wonderful, as ever. I won’t be able to go again for three weeks, so I’d better try and make the temporary sense of calm last. Talking of temporary feelings, the Monday morning sense of existential dread was particularly fierce today, but seemed to ease off at around 11am, thank goodness, rather than the usual high noon. Hmm, is it my hormones?? It’s a mystery …

Another great mystery is why Amazon have started describing all Goldenford and indeed all my books as being out of stock. Sigh. Just when I was hoping we might sell a few too. I’ve queried it with them but don’t expect an answer this side of the New Year. My advice is if you’d like a Goldenford book (and really what could be nicer …?!), click here and if you want to find out more about A Dangerous Man, click here.

Tonight, I tackled the first of my Christmas shopping (well, apart from things for Lord H of course, who is a special case) at Tesco. Yes, I am that mean. Sorry. I don’t really like Christmas, so will try almost anything to add it to my usual routine shopping rather than making special trips. Anyway, Tesco are good for biscuits and sweets, so it will cut a swathe through the list, I hope. Mind you, I’m cutting down on present-buying this time as much as possible and trying not to send cards to people I haven’t seen or contacted for a year, as why bother if the relationship really isn’t there? Yes, I know – I’m going to have to say it: Bah! Humbug! Phew, thank goodness I’ve got that out of the way.

I’m also planning to do some more to The Bones of Summer if I get a chance this evening – now I have a plot in mind, for the next few pages at least, I don’t want to lose the buzz.

And here’s a poem:

Mondays

are a triangle:
I'm squeezed

tight

at one end,
scrabbling

for meaning
and a life.

The day launches me,
unwilling rocket, into the vast

unknowable expanses

of the working week, with the weekend
an unimaginable dream.


Well, that’s just how it is sometimes, you know …

And my agent has at last contacted me! Rejoicing indeed - though subdued rejoicing, as the poor chap isn't terribly well. Back problems have prevented him answering any emails - rather than a desperate desire to cut off all contact with yours truly. Or maybe it's both?? Anyway, I hope he gets better soon and, in the meantime, I shall attempt to stop panicking and acting like a complete nervous wreck (on the other hand, I am used to that ...) and resign myself to hearing nothing about anything this side of the New Year. Heck, I'm used to that too!

Today’s nice things:

1. Reflexology
2. Getting home
3. Writing.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website
Goldenford Publishers

4 comments:

Graeme K Talboys said...

Amazon? Don't talk to me about bl**dy Amazon and their bizarre approach to tagging books. I am a small publisher (5' 8" in my socks - boom boom) and although I have a whizzo distributor and my books are always available, they constantly get tagged as 'difficult to source'. Grrrrr

Anne Brooke said...

Yes, you're right - they're hopeless! They should really keep up with the small publisher, sigh ...

A
xxx

Jilly said...

As you now know Anne - I did enjoy 'The Hit List' and have posted a review on Amazon and on my blog. Will do the same for 'A Dangerous Man'

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks so much, Jilly - so glad you liked it, and thanks hugely for the write-up!

:))

A
xxx