Saturday, November 10, 2007

Unrequited and Visiting Mr Green

Spent this morning editing for Goldenford and I'm now up to Chapter 23 of Jackie's upcoming novel. The plot continues to thicken indeed!

Have also just finished the marvellous Unrequited by James Bennett, which I thought was hugely enjoyable. If you like gay psychological thrillers, it's the book for you!

This afternoon, Lord H and I went into town to attempt to buy shirts and trousers - result: failure. Sigh! It's not often I don't like anything at all in Marks & Spencer, but I managed it today. We also saw "Visiting Mr Green" at the Yvonne Arnaud, which was very good indeed. Short but sassy, and a tour-de-force by the two actors in it, one of which was the great Warren Mitchell. It always sooooo wonderful to see a real play and then come out of the theatre with that particular floating feeling that only a good play well acted can produce. If it comes your way, then grab a ticket - you'll regret it if you don't.

Tonight, I shall be glued to "Strictly Come Dancing" and then we have takeaway Chinese to look forward to. Bliss. There are also a million and one marvellous Poliakoff things on TV, but I'm not really feeling literary or intellectual enough to watch them. Though if you haven't seen "Friends and Crocodiles", my advice is do. It's classy and a complete one-off. Even though my mother and I were the only people in the country to like it. It's about friendship. Big time. Ignore what the critics said - they were talking out of their arses.

Oh, and a fun marital moment (careful!) when last week I came over all romantic (believe me, that's a rare occurence) and rushed into the kitchen where Lord H was working on the computer, flung out my arms and said: you know, I'm really, really glad I found you! Ah, how sweet... Or would have been if Lord H hadn't looked bemused and replied: yes, I'm in the kitchen!. Oh well. On such misconnections are true marriages made. As they say ...

Today's nice things:

1. James Bennett's Unrequited
2. The play
3. "Strictly Come Dancing".

Anne Brooke
Anne's website

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out Anne. I'm chuffed you enjoyed the novel!

Best

JB

Cathy said...

We liked Friends and Crocodiles too. So that makes four of us.

Anne Brooke said...

I loved it, JB!! Will do proper review on Amazon & WW soonest!

And ooh a fellow FAC fan - no, 2!! Hurrah!!

:))

A
xxx

Lover of Books, Films and Good Coffee Shops Everywhere! said...

I love Poliakoff too ..... have you seen 'Shooting the Past'? I just adored that - I would go as far to say that it rates in my top 10 telly viewings in my life. Not to mention the delicious Liam Cunningham........

Anne Brooke said...

Ooh, no, I don't think I've seen that one. Will have to look out for it!

:)

A
xxx