Saturday, November 17, 2007

Birds and dances

Lord H and I have spent a day at Pulborough Brooks on their Beginners' Birdwatching course today. Well worth it - especially for the tips on field craft and quick lesson in birdspeak. I've learnt not to rush up to open fields yelling where are the birds then? Don't they know I'm here? and to hide behind things to watch, rather than standing in a clearing and jumping up and down whilst yelling ooh look a bird! I'm just so excitable, you know.

I've also learnt that a stringer is someone who's not sure about a bird identification and a pegger is a peregrine falcon. There you go then! It's a whole new world out there really ... The afternoon walk was good too - birds spotted: a pegger (see above - and utterly fabulous), a redstart and a flock of redwing. And Lord H thought he saw a fieldfare, but I missed it and he was fairly stringy about it (also see above!).

And, as ever, lunch was great and the cafe there has to produce the best apple pie and custard I've ever tasted. I'm torn now between having my ashes scattered at the cake counter in John Lewis, Kingston or having them scattered over the apple pie at Pulborough Brooks. I've achieved Nirvana in both places. Ah, decisions, decisions.

Tonight, I've just finished watching "Strictly Come Dancing". Poor Kate - I thought she did well and deserved better. Alesha was fantastic and did the best dance this series, but I still voted for Letitia, as how can you not love Letitia? She's wonderful.

And still no word from the agent. Alas, I fear I am soon for the chop. Is it just like the teenage years all over again, when a nice boy dumps you but doesn't let you know? I dread to think ...

Today's nice things:

1. Pulborough Brooks
2. Apple pie
3. Strictly Come Dancing.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website
Goldenford Publishers

6 comments:

Peter said...

oohh nice birds. I've never seen redstart or red wing.

glad you had a good day.

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Peter - but I haven't seen a Slovenian grebe either! Though now I have a picture of one!

:))

A
xxx

Nik Perring said...

Yeah great birds. Sounds like you had an ace time. I've seen neither of those either - yet...

Nik

Anne Brooke said...

Time to go searching, Nik! Though maybe not in this rain ...

:))

A
xxx

Nik Perring said...

No, I think I'll leave it today! Yuk! Saw a lovely grey wagtail the other day though; very pretty. I'm sure that'll keep me going for the time being. Hope the weather's better where you are!

Nik

Anne Brooke said...

Wagtails - they're so great! No, the weather's rubbish - we should all hibernate now!

A
xxx