Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thorns and Bones

Bloody hell, but I've actually done something literary today. Pause for blowing of trumpets and putting up of the bunting. Ah, I remember bunting. Brings back all those glorious '70s moments for me ... Does anyone still use this?

Anyway, I have changed all the names in Thorn in the Flesh that need changing and I'm sure my two secondary characters have grown sparkier as a result of being renamed to David and Nicky (or possibly Nicki - I'm still not decided). Strange what a difference a name makes. Even if only to my inner view of them. I've also added in a couple of phrases about Godalming Museum - well, if I'm going to have the launch there, then I'd better do the decent thing. Never let it be said that I, as an Essex Girl, am too proud to product-place in a novel. And even if the launch ends up being somewhere else, heck at least I'm showing local loyalty.

I've also typed up the Goldenford minutes and sent them out to the Golden Girls for checking. And I've done 787 (ye gods, that's more than 3!!) words to The Bones of Summer, which brings me to about 43,000 words. I think I'm about to go into a descriptive passage now too, so I'd better hang on to my hat and do my mental checklist: Do I have sight? Tick! Hearing? Tick! Taste? Tick! Touch? Tick! Smell? Well, not yet, but there's still time ... And not forgetting the most important ingredient of description: is this from the character's viewpoint entirely and absolutely and does it therefore reveal more of him? Oh Lord, but I hope so ... It's always the thing (amongst the many, many things) I have to rehash in the edit. And the one I struggle with most.

After all that, I have popped into see Gladys, who was quite chatty to start with but soon got tired. Hell, I have that effect on loads of people, so nothing new there.

Oh and I must say that I had a great time at Scottish country dancing last night - I managed to grab a partner rather than having to dance with the tutor, and I'm sure I pick it up quicker that way. I thought my poussettes were wonderful and I was okay on the weaving in and out in a line thing - whose name I have now forgotten - but my stripping of the willow was sadly lacking. Oh well, there's always next week. I think my main problem is the uncertainty under pressure of which is my left and which is my right arm. I think at one point I might even have swopped sexes. It was hard to say. Dahlings, it always is ...!

Tonight, Lord H and I are off to see the Northern Ballet Theatre perform "A Midsummer Night's Dream" at Woking Theatre. So I'd best make sure my tutu is ironed and my pointes are pressed. Ah, it could have been me, if only I hadn't grown too tall ... not that I'm bitter or crabby about my lack of ballet skills. Of course not - perish the thought!!

Today's nice things

1. Editing Thorn
2. Writing more of Bones
3. Ballet.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website
Goldenford Publishers

4 comments:

Nik Perring said...

I'd vote for Nicky, Anne - just so you know. I think it looks better on the page (Lord knows why).

Nik

Anne Brooke said...

Ooh, thanks for the comment, Nik - feedback is fab! It's Nicky at the moment - and I do see what you mean, so I may well keep it that way.

Thanks again

:))

A
xxx

Nik Perring said...

I think you should. No offence to Nickis out there but I think it looks like a fence. A bit spikey. It is probably just me.

Nik :)

Anne Brooke said...

Heck but there's a poem in there, you know! You should write it!

:))

A
xxx