Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Halfway through the Thorn and some hospital visiting

Have spent the whole day knee-deep - no, neck-deep - in Thorn in the Flesh, and I'm now halfway through the final read-through. Phew! I'm hoping I'll be able to get it to Goldenford by the end of the week, but it depends on a variety of factors. Not the least being that my two days off from the University is now over, and alas I have to go to work for the next three days as of tomorrow. Groan.

I was also going to try to fit in some golf today, but cancelled it as a friend of mine from work (or rather ex-work - as she's retired now) is unfortunately in Intensive Care at the local hospital with double pneumonia. A horrible shock to us all. So Ruth, Sally and I went en-masse to pay her a brief visit. We took it in turns, as they only allow two people at the bed at any one time, and talked as much as we could, though it's difficult when someone's unconscious. I know it's what you should do, as you never know what people can hear, but it's not particularly easy. Especially when you don't know someone that well. I hope we did our best - Sally thought there was more colour in her cheeks when we left, but my theory is that was because she was trying to get a word in edgeways during my manic monologue. She was probably saying: for God's sake, Anne, bugger off and let me sleep. Hell, it's understandable. I can't say I blame her. Anyway, the hospital are hoping that she'll be breathing independently in three or four weeks or so. We can only hope.

The three of us - rejoicing in our new official title of The Three Witches - then had a quick cup of coffee in the hospital canteen before the other two went back to work, and I returned to Thorn.

Tonight, I'll be out at Guildford Writers, but I'm planning to leave early, as I didn't get much sleep last night (I never do when I'm editing), and I need to be awake for tomorrow's tranche of meetings.

Today's nice things:

1. Trogging on with Thorn
2. Chatting to Ruth and Sally, even in difficult circumstances
3. Guildford Writers.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website
Goldenford Publishers

No comments: