Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The joy of the garden

Another retreat today - this time in Chertsey (hell to find, but I got there) - and this time about transformation. I didn't think much of the speaker (or most of the people indeed) who was way too evangelical for me. Do these people not realise there are other ways to be a Christian?? It also all seemed a bit too 1970s in style. Anyway, I ignored most of what the leader was trying to make us think, and simply enjoyed the garden. Which was beautiful. I had such a feeling of peace and enjoyment whilst sitting in it, which was bliss. And I wrote a lot of poems, even did some drawings too, which helped. A lot.

Here's a couple of the poems:

Thoughts on being on retreat, July 2007

(i)
I don’t say amen to the prayer.
Probably I’m the only one
who’s listening.


(ii)
Nothing in church
has pleased me half as much
as leaving it.


(iii)
Please God
if I never have to read
a Christian book again

it won’t be a moment
too soon.


(iv)
The best retreat
is not having to think
about God at all

but just sitting
in the garden, enjoying
the grass, the air, the birds

and me.


As you can see, I entered retreat in my own particular way. And very rejuvenating it was too. Lunch was good at the retreat house as well. As were the chocolate biscuits. Ace! When I write my book on chocolate and prayer, I swear it will be a bestseller.

This evening, I've seen Kunu again for counselling. Had a very good session today - we talked a lot about being an individual and accepting that I don't particularly want to have strong family relationships. Hell, it's just the way I am. And, actually, I'm happy with it. The older I get, the more I grow apart from those I grew up with, and actually the journey for me is a good one. Again, when I write my book on how to move on from your blood relations and be happy, I'm sure it will be a bestseller!

This evening, I'm packing for tomorrow's long weekend away. So I won't journal anything again till Monday, possibly Sunday. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Today's nice things:

1. Chocolate biscuits
2. The retreat centre garden
3. Counselling.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website
Pink Champagne and Apple Juice
Goldenford Publishers

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Have a great weekend! Where are you going?

Cx

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Cathy! - you too! We're off to Dorset!

:))

A
xxx