Thursday, July 26, 2007

Counselling and the editing queen

Seemed to spend a lot of time this morning in the process of actually getting up, so ended up rushing to get to my counselling appointment. Still managed to buy some more floppy disks on the way though - I'd just run out. Had quite a good session with Kunu, filling her in on stuff like mother, work, the gay man/men who appear to live somewhere inside me (Gawd bless 'em, eh - a rum lot ....) and getting a publishing deal (hurrah!). We talked a lot about the books this time (probably understandably ...) and the fact that you can tell how I am by what I'm writing at the time. Funny then how Craig in my current novel, The Bones of Summer, is having to go back in the present and sort out his family life, reinterpreting it from an adult perspective so he can get on with the business of living. Know how he feels then!...

I've then spent a lot of the day tackling the editing on Maloney's Law and easing down the tempo of the illicit sex scene in it (though there are others that remain untouched!) for the US market. It's difficult to know exactly what PD Publishing might want, but I hope I'm doing the best I can with it. I'm also reading through and checking the flow of the thing - an exercise which is quite useful in terms of bringing to mind the background I need to know for The Bones of Summer. Hey, at last I can kill two birds with one proverbial!

And I paid a visit to Gladys, who was also entertaining her niece & grand-niece, as it's her 91st birthday next week. Only nine years till the royal telegram (or whatever it is now - email??) then! I probably stayed longer than I should have though - as I haven't met that side of the family before and they seem very nice - as Gladys was a bit confused when I left. But at least she had cake. Which is never a bad thing. And, come to think of it, I was pretty confused when I turned up - so we have much in common indeed.

Oh, and Jools from Writewords and Mighty Erudite Publishers has very kindly asked if I'd like to do one day a month as creative consultant to her new publishing company, so I'm hoping to pop up to London soon for a drink with her to discuss it. Certainly sounds interesting to me. Thanks for the offer, Jools!

Tonight, I'm going to chill, and plan to catch up on my Channel 4 Gay Week videos. And, hopefully, a relatively early night too. You never know.

Today's nice things:

1. Counselling
2. Editing
3. Jools' kind offer.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website
Pink Champagne and Apple Juice
Goldenford Publishers

2 comments:

Lover of Books, Films and Good Coffee Shops Everywhere! said...

Floppy Disks? I thought you would have treated yourself to a flashy new data-stick Anne - you can cram loads more stuff on :-)

Anne Brooke said...

I do both, Sue - I'm obsessive about saving!

:))

A
xxx