Monday, June 23, 2008

Sad news

Got into work today and one of the first phone calls to Ruth was to tell us that Penny, my sick Guildford friend, had died on Saturday at 1pm. Not sure what to say really, but it seems so unfair that she only had one happy year of retirement before she got ill. I’m sorry too that I didn’t make the effort to visit her last week due to my own minor set-backs, which seem very petty now. Just goes to show it’s important to do stuff while you can. Sometimes there aren’t any second chances.

Anyway, most of all I’ll remember Penny’s wicked and downright gloriously dirty sense of humour, her glamour and her can-do, no-nonsense attitude. If I ever have even a quarter of any of that, I’d be proud.

So. Now we wait to see what the funeral arrangements will be. And, in the meantime, there’s the lunchtime Steering Group, which will include the DVD on the Chaplaincy’s Auschwitz trip (God, what a day …), and the shopping to do. Indeed, as they say, life goes on. But I’m glad of the distractions of it.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website
Goldenford Publishers

4 comments:

Nik Perring said...

Sorry to hear you've had sad news.

Nik

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Nik

A
xxx

slippingthroughtheworld said...

sorry to hear about your friend anne. i had an aunt who died only a year after retiring; it's just so unfair. x

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Irene - and sorry also about your aunt.

A
xxxxxxxxxxxxx