Monday, November 10, 2008

Back at work, books and more on Maloney

I’m back at work today and I think my arm and hand are fairly under control – I’m even typing this with two hands though not at my usual speed. It’s proving easier than I thought it would be – and people are being very nice. The boss has even very kindly arranged back-up writing support for the meeting I’m due to minute on Wednesday, just in case my hand gives up. So that takes the pressure off. The only thing at the moment is I’ve moved my mouse to the left side, which I think is more sensible for now, but it does make my back feel more delicate – the difference in emphasis, I suppose. Lordy, but I’m a moaner indeed – and hey it’s not too bad and I’m back in the saddle, so hurrah for that!

I’ve even managed to catch up with the 51 emails that were waiting for me – heck, I’ve even gone so far as to deal with some of them, so Secretary Points indeed. And I’ve finished the first draft of the minutes I began writing up last Monday. Which the boss is hugely relieved about, as they were pretty urgent then.

I decided not to wander about anywhere at lunchtime as the weather is such rubbish, so I chewed my yummy Starbucks prawn sandwich in a meditative fashion whilst gazing blankly at the new pensions leaflet. Heck but my free time is so fulfilling. Tonight, Lord H is picking me up (as I decided against the driving option today) and then we’ll do a mini-shop together as I need someone to push the trolley. Honestly, sometimes we sound like a normal married couple, you know. Almost.

I’ve just finished reading Robert Goddard’s Name to a Face. Is it just me or are his plots getting more and more desperate?? This one’s totally idiotic and by the time I reached the part where they’re in the cellar and out of the cellar again for no apparent reason, I was just laughing. Way too many characters (lots of whose names begin with an H – soooo confusing ….) and coincidences. All that said, it’s always true that Goddard writes like a dream so you can’t help reading on. But it really isn’t one of his best. Plus he’s used the mysterious woman who vanishes at the start trick before now too. Sigh. Still, I can’t talk – I keep using the same plot devices myself, as I’m way too dim to think of anything else. Double sigh.

And there’s another review for Maloney’s Law on the Rainbow Review website. Not a great review, but certainly not as bad as the bad one of last week (hey, I’m getting quite used to these now – I must be toughening up, Carruthers …) and you can see it here. And talking of Maloney, both Ruth at work and Monique at the Health Centre have bought their copies now, so I’m hugely grateful for that. I just hope they both fall into the “we like it” camp rather than the “we can’t stand it” one, as otherwise I’ll have to come into work in disguise. Again …

Today’s nice things:

1. Managing to use my arm more
2. The prawn sandwich
3. An okay-ish Maloney review.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website - we're getting there ...

5 comments:

Jilly said...

Glad you're feeling well enough to be back at work and it sounds as though everyone is being very supportive. I found having the mouse on the left just gave me a different set of aches and pains! Hugs xxx

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Jilly - and I suspect you're right though!

Axxx

Nik Perring said...

Glad to hear you're on the mend.

Nik X

Unknown said...

Good to have you back, but don't overdo it!

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, both!

Axxx