Tuesday, February 20, 2007

A Dangerous Man - he's here!

Finally managed to proofread the changes to the mentoring handbook today and also to put some pretty pictures in so there aren’t too many scary words to beat people with. I’m sure Carol will have more changes though, as first handbooks always take a lifetime, but I’ll have to wait and see.

I then spent some time dragging myself through the utterly boring Perspectives mag (the mag for university administrators). I don’t know how they manage to make it as dull as it is, but I’m sure each edition is worse. Could definitely do with a few colour pictures in there. In fact, I’m sure that when I was ploughing through the last dreadful article – and I can’t now even remember what it was supposed to be about – a third of my brain cells packed their suitcases and left home. Thank the Lord it only comes out about three times a year (or perhaps it’s more and I’ve blanked it?). I only read it when there’s nothing else to do, to be honest.

Oh and I had a message from a friend (thanks, Liz) who seems keen not to miss out on any of my recent successes, (gosh, a fan, a fan – I’m astounded!) so I sent her the books info by email – though actually I’d already done this, so maybe I’m seen as Spam on everyone’s systems now? It wouldn’t surprise me, and would explain the lack of responses from elsewhere (see below) … - and I also left a message on her ansaphone to say what I’d done. As you can see, I am indeed a desperately needy writer. But then you knew that.

We had our monthly UniSWriters meeting at lunchtime today. As I’d received a request from one of our members (thanks, Alan!...), I brought along some chocolates to celebrate my astonishing week of publications and attempted to sell some of the “A Stranger’s Table” (http://www.poetrymonthly.com) collection. No takers, though I did have one borrower, which was nice. And we had a great meeting – lots of interesting writing and some good discussions. Indeed, we were rocking.

This afternoon, I fiddled around on the care services website and checked the links to the Students’ Union site, as they’ve just updated it and therefore all my original links have died. I’m sure there must be some I’ve missed though – but no doubt some bugger will let me know pretty damn sharpish if things don’t work.

Tonight, it’s Guildford Writers (http://www.guildfordwriters.net) and I shall take along the end of Chapter Two of “The Gifting” for comment – just before the trial scene. I suspect drinks will be on me at the end of the evening, and, with a bit of luck, I might even sell a couple more books. You never know your luck, eh?

Oh, and I’m rather (for “rather”, read “very”) annoyed that my dancing partner for my Thursday evening classes intends to let me down for the next three weeks. Which is actually par for the course for that particular group of old college friends, I have to say, so I really don’t know if I’m going to bother that much with them any more. I think it’s time to let go of old friendships that aren’t working. After all, we have so little in common now, and I have other friends whose company I enjoy far more and who don’t let me down on such a terribly regular basis. But for now I’m really peed off about the lack of dance. Spit.

But, to raise the spirits, the wonderful David Caddy, editor of Tears in the Fence (http://www.myspace.com/tearsinthefence) magazine has agreed to look at a copy of “A Stranger’s Table” for a possible review. David gave me some good comments about my first collection, “Tidal”, so I feel quite hopeful about this one. In any case, huge thanks, David. It’s much appreciated.

Other good news today is that my flash fiction piece is now on the Bird & Moon website and can be found here: http://www.birdandmoon.com/55words/guest122.html. But, even more thrilling than this, my author's copies of "A Dangerous Man" (http://www.flamebooks.com) are finally here! Hey, my baby looks cool, though I'm still sorry they took the cigarette out of his mouth on the cover. But it's a book! It's a book! Hurrah! My baby's come home at last ...

Today’s nice things:

1. UniSWriters
2. Guildford Writers
3. Getting the message from Liz.
4. Ooh a 4th today – oo-err, missus: the request from David Caddy
5. And a fifth - the flash fiction publication
6. But, best of all, Michael's come home!!!

Anne Brooke
http://www.annebrooke.com
http://www.goldenford.co.uk

No comments: