Monday, January 08, 2007

Sick day and the inner child

Not a great title for any novel, but there you go. Still feeling rough today, so am having a day's sick leave. Which means drinking my way through the European Lucozade lake, keeping Mr Kleenex in business single-handedly, reading a non-literary page-turner (of which more later) and watching my new DVD of "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers". How I love a Hollywood musical. It's not as good as "Calamity Jane" of course, but then nothing ever is. Ah times were simpler then ... And goodness what small waists they all had. I'm green with envy and regretting the demise of the corset.

I'll see how well I am tomorrow, but I'm hoping this bout of swooning doesn't mean the rest of the year will follow suit. However, on the other hand, I am making good inroads on my heartfelt New Year wish never to have to do a Monday at work again. Suspect I won't be able to keep that up for long though.

And I've been thinking - on and off - about my counselling "inner child" homework. Kunu was keen that I try to think what sort of things my childhood self enjoyed doing. You've have thought the question was simple, but in fact I'm really struggling with it. It's hard to connect with who I once was. In fact I have a strong feeling that every ten years or so I slough off the former me like old skin from a snake and reinvent myself as something else entirely. Maybe this accounts for the trouble I have with my family? - they tend to relate to the old me (or one of them) and I have no idea what they're talking about. As a result, as I'm trying to do my homework, events from childhood skip in and out of my head like snatches of an old film I don't remember seeing, and it's difficult to grasp anything useful from the reel. All I can say at the moment is that I think the childhood me liked (a) being left alone (b) making up stories with her toy horses, (c) reading, and (d) school holidays (at least in the ghastly primary school years). Not much to go on, but I suppose it's better than nothing. Ho hum.

I've decided to conserve energy for getting well today, and do no writing. But, as I reached 90,000 words in "The Gifting" yesterday evening, the guilt factor is low - hurrah! And, by default, it means that I am carrying out my resolution of not pushing myself quite so much, ho ho. I think that the next bout of writing I'll be doing - perhaps starting it later in the week, depending on how I feel - will be related to Sue Haywood's (http://www.teafriendsandchocolate.com/sue/) proposed "Pink Champagne and Apple Juice" project, and to do with biographies for characters from that novel. It will be quite a fun project, I think, and also nice to have a break from fantasy for a while (or at least fantasy writing!).

And, as promised earlier, a note on the reading I've been doing today: having started Katy Gardner's "Hidden" yesterday, I've finished it today. Nice, readable stuff. Strongly placed in the "woman in jeopardy" genre, but I loved both the ending twists, which were first-class and which I didn't see coming. Good stuff. If you want a nice, exciting read and you like that genre, I can recommend it.

Today's nice things:

1. Reading
2. Watching my DVD
3. Thinking about inner children.

Anne Brooke
http://www.annebrooke.com
http://www.goldenford.co.uk

4 comments:

Jackie Luben said...

Sorry to hear you're not well, Anne. Hope you're better soon.

Also read your previous day's rant. What great stuff. Who are all these published authors that you know? Bet they're getting tenpence a year from their publishers and have to go on writers' conferences and give talks to make a living.

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Jackie - so do I! You've cheered me up with your authors comment though!

:))

A
xxx

Cathy said...

Get well soon, Anne (or should I say Cruella...did that come from your inner child??)

Cx

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Cathy - and scary thought indeed!

A
xxx