Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Art, religion and children

Not the ideal mix, but there you go. Staggered nobly into work today once more, and attempted to look like a keen administrator ready for anything. Ha! My acting skills sometimes astound even me … The morning was spent going through brochures on major world religions and how these affect student life, so I am now the acknowledged expert. At least within the four walls of the office and while I can remember the stuff, so best ask any questions today as by tomorrow all that wisdom will have vanished.

Also posted a copy of “Champers” to Diane from MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/detoxnurse) today – so thanks, Diane, and I hope you enjoy the read! If not, I promise to try to improve for next time … I also picked up a late Christmas card from an artist, Michael Strang (http://www.michaelstrang.com) who exhibited at the University last year. I wrote a poem about one of his pictures at the time, and he saw a copy of it and liked it, so was kind enough to drop a line of thanks. His pictures are great, in my opinion, so take a look at the site and enjoy!

Come the afternoon, come the next meeting of the Nursery Management Group. Groan. Definitely not my favourite, as (a) I never quite know what’s going on as it’s run by Human Resources, and they are of course a mystery to us all, Gawd bless ’em, and (b) I hate children. Indeed, I am the only member of the group that’s never actually seen the nursery, and I’m determined to hold fast to that act of faith as long as I’m able to. Still, I’m only there to take the minutes, so meeting a child isn’t a requirement. Phew. And, talking of which, the HR woman who runs it has suddenly announced that she's off on maternity leave in March. Hope she uses the ruddy nursery if she comes back ... And just what is wrong with people anyway?! Anyone would think children were desirable, or is it just me ...? No, don't answer that! I was so confused by it all on my way home that I tried to get into the wrong car in the University car park. Still, all black Fiestas look alike to me and there were three of them all together. Safety in numbers, I imagine.

Tonight, I intend to collapse on the sofa in front of the TV and do as little as possible. Might even turn the TV on, if I can find the energy. I need the rest, as it happens - as there was another rejection waiting my return. Sigh. This time from Arcadia Books for "Maloney's Law." Still, at least they didn't try to overegg the pudding by trying to be nice - an omission for which I am as always more than grateful.

Today’s nice things:

1. Posting a copy of “Champers” to Diane
2. Getting a Christmas card from Michael Strang
3. Not having to meet a child.

Anne Brooke
http://www.annebrooke.com
http://www.goldenford.co.uk

2 comments:

Hippy Writer said...

I generally find that children are wonderful as long as you can give them back to their parents...lol!

Anne Brooke said...

You're such a heroine, Julia!!

:))

A
xxx