Saturday, June 07, 2008

In which I become middle-aged ...

Seemed to take forever to get up today. I wasn't actually ready to face any kind of world before 11am. By which time, Lord H thought it was probably too late to do a day's birdwatching (which was vaguely planned), so we went shopping in Guildford instead. Nice day for it, but an extraordinary lack of people. Perhaps they all decided they were too late for a decent day's shopping and are watching birds instead. It's a mystery.

Anyway, I revealed my true middle-aged credentials by buying a set of curtains from Debenhams for the living-room and a pair of slippers from M&S. Yes, I know I should probably be buying shorts and halter tops or whatever this year's summer fashion is (who on earth knows?), but frankly I can't be arsed. And the curtains are lovely - dark rich red with a darker bottom stripe and a toning top, and the slippers are purple with a gold pattern. I'm obviously in the middle of some kind of Surrey-style harem fetish. Hell, no wonder there's nobody in Guildford.

Back home, the effort of being out was just too much and I've spent most of the afternoon asleep or watching the Springwatch webcams. Every time I come back to them, there's one fewer greenfinch. And the remaining ones are teetering on the brink. Then again, aren't we all.

And, as you can see, sod all writing has been done. At the moment, it feels like I'm facing a mountain I'm not fully equipped to climb. Plus some bugger has stolen my oxygen tent. So the hope of reaching first camp any time soon is rapidly fading and, really, I'm simply lying on the lower slopes whimpering. Much like the greenfinch, I suppose.

Oh, and I'm avoiding bookshops, tales of writing success and the book review pages of the weekend paper - they all just depress me. In the meantime, Lord H is making inroads into the loft to try to sort out our water problems, and being super-quiet. Oh, and I've cleaned the car. About bloody time.

Tonight, it's "Dr Who", thank the Lord, and I think I might watch the programme about the Queen's wedding. Well, it's always good to heark back to times when things were more clear-cut now and again.

Today's nice things:

1. Curtains
2. Slippers
3. TV.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website
Goldenford Publishers

2 comments:

Feathers said...

I believe I'm just a little more middle-aged than you because I'm excited about your curtains and I am now minded to go to Debenhams. Your curtains are just what I am looking for and coincidentally I also need some more slippers from M&S. My old ones are falling to bits. Sounds like a great day to me. I have been meandering around my garden. My hydrangea is very unwell so I have dug it up and put a new Red Robin bush in its place. A very nice and easy day for me. I think I might do another one tomorrow. This is probably why it takes me so long to write a book.

Feathers

Anne Brooke said...

A Red Robin bush sounds fabulous, Feathers - and perhaps it's a slippers & curtains week? Go for it!

Hugs to you

A
xxx