Saturday, June 14, 2008

All Faired Out

Have spent the day attempting to sell Goldenford books at the Pirbright Open Day with the stalwart Jackie and the equally stalwart Irene. The rain held off, thank the Lord, but sadly we only sold three books. Sigh. So that's two Tainted Trees and one Thorn in the Flesh. And that latter was to someone I knew from an old poetry group - thank you, Valerie! How marvellous it must be to sell to strangers though. Ah well. So a bit of a waste of a day, but it was lovely to catch up with two of the Golden Girls, so all was not entirely lost.

Anyway, you'll be pleased to hear that Irene and Jennifer did slightly better than that in the recent Freiburg Festival - the audience loved them (as they should!) and they sold honourable amounts of their books. Hurrah! And apparently, Goldenford has been asked to go back to the same event next year, so that's good news. Thank you, Freiburg.

I have to admit to feeling rather blank at the moment - it's the aftermath of sitting in the sun and attempting to smile at people without frightening them off. Interesting also the numbers of young boys who seemed to have a great interest in A Dangerous Man. Or perhaps it was the same boy running around our lonely stall very quickly?? Anyway, I rather suspected his parents wouldn't be too impressed if I actually sold him a copy - best to come back in ten years' time, I feel. I really don't want to be up in court for dubious activities - at least not so early in the year.

Tonight, I am attempting to regain any sense of energy I once had by watching Dr Who. I did have the chance of going out, but I don't think I can cope with any more people. Not for a while certainly!

Today's nice things:

1. Actually selling a copy of Thorn
2. Freiburg successes
3. TV.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website
Goldenford Publishers

2 comments:

Lexi said...

Last week I was doing something similar at the launch of British Silver Week; sitting beside my goblet and trying to smile at visitors without looking as if I was going to pounce on them.

It's a difficult line to tread; you mustn't ignore them or look preoccupied. But you don't want to make them feel compelled to say something nice about your piece, either.

I found the ones with questions about it were best. (And someone did buy it, hurrah).

Onwards and upwards. Say not the struggle naught availeth.

Anne Brooke said...

Very true, Lexi! And well done on your sale.

Hugs

A
xxx