Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Coffee and launches

Rejoice! Our email seems to be working. Good grief, Carruthers, break out the gin and book the dancing girls. Or nearest equivalent. After spending yet another hour on the phone to BT last night, they finally told poor Lord H that what had been happening was that the BT Yahoo account had unilaterally decided that everything sent into our inboxes was spam and was therefore delivering none of it. Now if only they’d thought to check that before … Still the people were very nice and hey it’s always good to talk. Ho ho.

So now we have access to the Yahoo account and I have rescued my missing emails. Phew! Which apparently means that the system will relearn that they are not spam and will possibly even send them to us. You never know. In the meantime, we know how to access the basic BT system so are able to keep an eye on it. Cue evil laughter …

At work, I’m attempting to keep my head down and not have to think too much. So no change there then. And my Thorn in the Flesh launch chef, Douglas, is already planning the menu for 27 February. It suddenly makes it seem much more real and even exciting (rather than terrifying). Gosh indeed! I’ve warned him about my allergy to crab though – it gives me asthma. My, that would make the launch memorable for sure. But possibly not for the right reasons.

This lunchtime, I’m skipping my Pilates class (naughty me) to have coffee with Sally from Student Advice instead. All very civilised. And tonight, I’m off to a poetry launch for local poet Keith Please’s latest collection, Firestrikes, coincidentally enough also at the Godalming Museum – so I can be underhand and get ideas for my own launch at the same time, aha …

Though I do have to be back in time for “Torchwood” – we have to keep Surrey safe from the alien threat, don’t you know!

Today’s nice things:

1. Getting my email back
2. Coffee with Sally
3. Thinking about the launch.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website
Goldenford Publishers

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh Keith. Now he LIKED The Surrey Bookshop. And we liked him. Lovely man and a fantastic poet.

Anne Brooke said...

Indeed so - I just did a review of his marvellous collection. I trust you're stocking it, wherever you are! Still doesn't stop the Surrey Bookshop from being rubbish for the last two years though. I wish the original owners had never left.

A

Anonymous said...

Ahhh .... All the pleasant, humility, charm, wit and compassion that I have come to expect from you.

Some of us in Godalming loved that shop rather than the banal, corporate
monster that chased it out. I can't help it if they didn't like your works. I don't either, "The Hit List" was a travesty. I popped in to the shop on the day it closed putting 6 locals out of work and at least 3 of the more regular customers were in tears at the loss. I'm sure you were too. Although they were tears of laughter I imagine. Congratulations on your petty victory.

Anne Brooke said...

Aw shucks, thank you! I do always love a petty victory - it makes me feel so warm and cuddly inside, m'dear!

You're right about THL though - certainly not my best, but hey it is a first novel, and by gum I get better. Lots better. Shame that couldn't be said about The Surrey Bookshop, eh!

:))

A
xxx

Anonymous said...

Sheesh....

What a truly unfeeling person you are. I notice you didn't mention the upset regulars, presumably because it doesn't fit your world view. Do you have ANY other sides to you at all beyond the chipper eccentric you like to come across as on this blog? Do you feel anything for anybody other than yourself?

Anne Brooke said...

Absolutely not - I'm a real bitch! Isn't it wonderful!

I just love it that you're so upset, tee hee!

:))

A
xxx

Anonymous said...

very christian of you.

Anne Brooke said...

Aw shucks, I'm blushing!

:))

A
xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just thought I would butt in.

What happened to love thy neighbour and all that?

XX

Anonymous said...

Don't bother. Straight answers aren't her strong point. You are more likely going to get a response that's full of "Aw Shucks...", "tee hee.." or "M'dear..." I'm beginning to think that she's either a bot or 7 years old.

Anne Brooke said...

Ah, depends on the neighbour, m'dear (Bot alert! Bot alert!). And please, please, please let me be a bot - that's a fabulous idea, Peter!

Tee hee, both!

A
xxx

Anonymous said...

I remember that in the Bible myself! "Love Thy Neighbour". I can't
remember the bit about "depending on the neighbour" though.

Mandy

Anne Brooke said...

It's not there, Mandy - don't bother looking for it! But everyone knows I'm a total bitch - why is it people just can't accept that?!? Am I not saying it loud enough?? Try this: HEY, PEOPLE - I'M A BITCH - LIVE WITH IT!!!

Is that better?

:))

A
xxx