Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Websites and night creatures

I must say I actually enjoyed “Gavin & Stacey” on TV last night – it had some jokes in it for once, though there were still the weird, unrealistic parts. Not as good as “Outnumbered” of course, which was as utterly and subtly off the wall as ever. Astonishing how much I like it, even though I hate children. Must be that it almost makes children seem like real people. No! Surely not, we cry … everyone knows they’re aliens from the Planet Zog.

Anyway, another day spent tidying up the website at work. Honestly, my eyes will be shaped like a computer screen soon. I was supposed to be going for a coffee with Sally from Student Advice at lunchtime, but she … um … forgot. Sigh. (How memorable am I? Sorry? Who said that …?) I was so looking forward to it too. Had a walk round campus instead to try to reset my eyes – hope it’s worked …

But, to cheer me up, the builders are back doing something to the windows in the building opposite, so that’s fun, and there seems to be a younger contingent at the moment, hurrah! Talking of which, I’d like to offer a belated welcome to Fireman Kelly, my choice pin-up for September, who comes from Essex and has a rather nice bod and the cutest smile in the world. Lovely …

I’m also showing my age – have got a bit of a dodgy hip today, which sometimes happens. So, I’m managing to look both sad and limpy whilst walking. Really, I should have the darn thing done! – and that’s exactly what I’m going to do when I turn 60, ho ho. Not sure you’re allowed new body parts before then. At least not on the National Health.

Tonight, Lord H and I are off to Pulborough Brooks for an evening spent looking for night creatures. Or at least that’s what the events guide tells us. I’m hoping for lots of bats, foxes and deer, and absolutely no moths at all. Of any shape or size. Lord H did wonder earlier in the week if there might be screaming, should a moth appear. From me, that is … But I’m hoping it won’t come to that – provided that I make sure Lord H is always between me and the creatures from the deep. If he isn’t, I may just have to beat one to death with my torch. Which may not go down that well with the warden of course …

Because of all that, we’re having to perform a super-speedy turn-round when we get back from work this evening, as we absolutely must be out of the flat by 6.30pm at the latest. Before if we can manage it. Which is why Lord H got up early today and sorted out a slow-cooker lamb dinner so we can just eat and go. Must say it smelt delicious when I left for work – could have eaten it there and then. Mmm …

Oh, and last night I did manage 500 words to The Bones of Summer, which takes Craig up to his first flashback scene, so all is not lost on the writing front. One hopes.

Today’s nice things:

1. Lunchtime walk
2. Slow-cooked lamb
3. Pulborough Brooks.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website

5 comments:

Nik Perring said...

Hope that plenty of theose creatures of the night came out to play!

Nik.

Anne Brooke said...

Well, there were a lot of bats & deer, which was nice, Nik - but only the sound of owls, and no foxes. Still - very interesting and the bat noise detector was fab!!

:))

A
xxx

Nik Perring said...

Sounds great. Bat noise detector? Eh? Don't know what one is but I'm pretty sure I want one!

Anne Brooke said...

They were great! I want one too! Like an old mobile phone in shape really and you can get all the different frequencies on it so you can work out what bat you're hearing!

A
xxx

Nik Perring said...

That sounds brilliant!