Sunday, August 31, 2008

It's not over till the Fat Lady sings ...

Goodness me, what a thundery rainy day today. Lord H and I do so love a good thunderstorm. Shame it seems to have vanished away now - we were hoping for more drama. Ah well.

This morning, I've had a nice lie-in (at last! At last!) and have then packaged up the rest of my free/review copies of Maloney's Law for sending off in one fell swoop on Monday (I missed the post office opening hours yesterday, dammit). Honestly, the more I look at that cover, the more I love it. The back is pretty ace too. And perfect for Paul's obsession with whisky and time. The cover artist, Tracey Davis, is a genius, to my mind.

I'm blogging early today as we're dashing off at about 12.30pm-ish for our last Glyndebourne opera of the season - they're ending with Carmen, which I love - so I really can't wait for that! The joy of going on the last night is we get a sneak preview of what they'll be doing next year. Rumours of Wagner (noooo!!!) abound, but we'll see. We're also meeting an old work colleague of mine - Ronnie Yearsley - for drinks beforehand, so that should be fun. Ronnie's not on email (Gawd bless 'im), so I've been gathering up emails sent to him from his overseas cousin about the family tree, which I must remember to deliver this afternoon. Said Yearsley family tree also includes a picture of a Victorian ancestor who didn't quite seem to know how to wear a beard, as it doesn't appear to be fully attached to his chin. Perhaps it's the angle of the shot, Carruthers?... One can only hope.

And I'm now at 31,000 words of Hallsfoot's Battle and at the end of the first section, which is entitled Lust and Fortitude. Onto the next section then, which will go by the theme of Anger and Justice. My, how I do like to make things tricky, eh. I do have a couple of ideas for it, which is something, I suppose. I hope.

This week's haiku (because, hey, it hasn't been bad, has it!):

Sometimes the universe
fits us: struggles cease.
Enough, for now, to be.


Today's nice things:

1. Thunderstorms
2. Having a lie-in
3. The Maloney cover
4. Carmen
5. Finishing a Hallsfoot section
6. Haikus.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website

No comments: