Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Writers, physio and visiting

Am feeling strangely inspired (it can’t last, obviously …) this week, so I actually wrote my first ever horror short story yesterday. Well, subtle horror, but horror nonetheless. No idea what I’m going to do with it, but hey at least it’s there. Lurking. And, talking of writing, here’s this morning’s bible poem:

Meditation 8

Fasten my robe
with pomegranates,
blue, purple, red.

Listen.

Place next to them
the golden bells
that sing of heaven.

Listen

So let me taste and hear
the coming salvation.

Listen.


Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the hot water is working again and Lord H and I both managed baths (hurrah!) though the heating is rather dodgy. Taking Andrea’s advice, we tried to locate the electrical immersion heater switch just in case the water goes off again. We eventually found it by means of a strong torch and lots of burrowing. However, when we turned it on, there was an ominous spark or two from the end of the wire nearest the heater so we swiftly turned it off. Hmm, sparks aren’t a good sign, I think … If the boiler breaks down again and we need hot water before the new system is installed, best stick to the kettles. And I suspect getting an electrician in and maybe a spot of serious rewiring might well be on next year’s agenda.

At work, I’ve got the University Writers’ Group at lunchtime today, so have taken two calming pills in order to prepare. I’m not a natural leader, as you can no doubt tell. Anyway, I’ve got a writing game they can do, so I hope that proves inspirational for them. It will also be fun looking at what manuscripts they might have brought in. UPDATE: it was great. Went really well and we looked at a lot of excellent manuscripts, plus played a speedy writing game which will double up as homework. Fabulous! Not only that but Mick has sold yet another of his short stories inspired by the homework I set (that makes three then!) to a literary magazine, so he's obviously on a major roll. Well done, Mick - very well deserved!

This afternoon, we’re having a brainstorming meeting about the changes to the personal tutors’ handbook – it’s a huge job which right now feels horrendously overwhelming (if worthwhile), but it would be great to get some of it started before the end of the year. I think that will make us all feel more positive about it. I hope.

Straight after that, I had to rush off to my physio appointment. After the weekend’s slight setback, my shoulder and arm now feel more normal than they’ve done for a while, so I’m hoping I’m on the upward slope. To somewhere. On the way home, I’ll pop in to see Gladys and restock that birdseed of hers. In this weather, the birds will definitely need it!

Oh, and I forgot to mention that on 20 November, it was the six-month anniversary of The Gifting being out with publishers via the agent without any response. Happy anniversary to Simon and Co then – I didn’t want you to disappear entirely from the systems of the powers that be without some sort of recognition. Hey ho.

Today’s nice things:

1. Writing my first horror story (well, yesterday, really)
2. Poetry
3. Writers’ Group
4. Mick's good news!
5. Physio.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website - occasionally proves inspirational ...

4 comments:

litlove said...

Just been catching up with the boiler saga - oh no! Isn't it typical that it should conk out when the weather's ghastly? I'm just waiting for ours to do the same... But glad to know that it's fixed and you are no longer living in an igloo!

Hugs!

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, LL! Looking forward to the milder weather for sure

:))

Axxx

Nik Perring said...

well done, Inspiror! ;)

Anne Brooke said...

Thank you, Nik! Now if only I could inspire publishers to recognise my innate talent, I'd be laughing!... Hmm, don't wait up ...

:))

Axxx