Friday, November 21, 2008

Golf, Hallsfoot and the slippery slope

Have played my first round of golf with Marian since my shoulder disaster (I think I must now always hear that word in my head a la Craig Revel Horwood - disarrrster, dahlings, disarrrster ...) and it hasn't really gone too badly. Well, apart from the score of course. Neither of us were playing at our best but, hey, at least we got round relatively intact. I have to admit that my shoulder was aching a little before we started, but I took it as gently as possible and halfway through it actually appeared to be more mobile. Mind you, it's back to the same ache level now, so I'm not sure what that signifies. Best not lift any heavy loads this weekend then ...

I've also managed to nip to the shop and have succumbed to the blandishments of sin (oo-err, missus) by buying three of the Godalming Lottery tickets. This is a first for me as I've never bought any of the National Lottery tickets on the grounds that it's too much money and the thought terrifies me - but as the top prize for the Godalming Lottery is only £500, that's nearer to what I feel able to handle. Not sure how Lord H will react to such blatant wrongdoing though (gambling - it's the devil's game, you know), so I have placed the tickets (lovely shade of navy blue, I must say) in the middle of the dining room table and will await comments later. Hey, at least I'm admitting it. And I'm no longer a Lottery Virgin, hurrah.

Meanwhile, I've focused on the First Elder's scene in Hallsfoot's Battle and have squeezed out another 1000 words, thus bringing me to the total of 58,000. Only 2000 more words to the big 6-0! Well, gosh. I think I'm going to go back to Annyeke and Johan now and see how they're getting on. Not well, I fear ... And what is that dang snow-raven up to? Lord alone knows.

Tonight is cleaning night, though I doubt we'll do much as we cleaned like crazed people last week - enough to last a month at least. And I'm sure there's enough TV to keep us entertained for a while.

And today's bible reading was full of instructions about the lamp and the priesthood, which made me think of this:

Meditation 5

The slight swish
of the priests’ cloaks
as they pass

carrying the light
that shadows
the lines and planes

of the face.
Let the lamp burn,
transfigure the night.


Today's nice things:

1. Golf
2. The Elder's scene in Hallsfoot
3. Buying my first Lottery ticket
4. Poetry.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website - treading the road to perdition, oh yes ...

No comments: