Sunday, April 06, 2008

Snow, webs and bones

Good Lord, snow. What a lot of it. Horrible, horrible, horrible, I really hate snow. With a deep and deadly loathing. When I opened the curtain today, it was like another universe, I can tell you. Thankfully, this being Surrey, it has now all gone, and let's hope it doesn't come back. Otherwise, I shall be forced to lie on the sofa with the smelling salts in order to calm my shattered nerves, a la Lydia Languish, and the thought of having to go out anywhere will simply be Too Much. With Capitals.

Mind you, today did start rather later than usual - I was a tad delicate during the night and didn't stumble from my bed until nearly 10am, by which time Lord H had been up for a good two hours and was doing marvellous redesign stuff to the Goldenford website. This will mean we will have a bottom band to the site in the corporate yellow and blue colours and it will look okay on whatever size screen one happens to have, hurrah! I then huddled over the computer in my dressing-gown and clutching my hot-water bottle and made sure the new code was on all the pages. Which it now is, so all I need at this point is the necessary details from our old Goldenford webmaster and I can FTP it onto the web. As they say in the trade.

And I finally got dressed round about 1pm. Ah, nothing like a good old-fashioned Sunday, you know.

For the rest of the day, I have been hard at work on The Bones of Summer and have written 1000 words and got to the end of a chapter. With a very dramatic development that I hadn't realised was coming but, now that I look at it, makes bloody good sense indeed. It feels punchy, and that's what I like. So I'm now at 67,000 words and I suspect the first draft will probably end up in the mid 70,000s - though I think it's one of those which will have more meat added to the bones (ha!) at the editing stage.

Tonight, I'm intending to vegetate in front of "Safari" on the TV - a film which promises to be something like Indiana Jones, which suits us fine. Oh, but talking of TV, was it just us or - frankly - was "Dr Who" something of a disappointment yesterday? It seemed very saggy and had nothing of the excitement of previous series. And - though I hate to say it as I adore redheads - I don't think Donna is a patch on the glorious Martha. Mind you, I did like the glimpse of the strangely evil Rose at the end. More of that, please. And less of the pseudo-comedy and back history. Ah it hasn't really been the same since Christopher Eccleston left ...

Finally, I'm so sorry to hear that the great and god-like Charlton Heston has been called home at last. They won't make his like again and I for one am sad about that. Hollywood stars are much smaller and meaner these days.

And this week's haiku is:

These things come to mind:
evening imprisons the day
while the owl flies free.


Today's nice things:

1. Finishing the Goldenford website
2. Finishing another chapter of Bones
3. TV.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website
The hopefully-soon-to-be-changed Goldenford website

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I hate snow too. Ours looked pretty in the sunlight at 7.30 am but was thankfully all melted by 11am when it was Time To Venture Out...

Doctor Who - I must say Donna/Tate was better than expected after her crap début in the 2006 Xmas special, but aye, still no patch on the divine Martha, or Rose FTM. Ecclestone or Tennant? Both, please...

Anne Brooke said...

Yes, let's hope that's it for the snow this year! And two doctors? That would be grand!

:))

A
xxx

Robin said...

I envy you snow! I love snow. We used to get snow 1-2 times a year but's not in a great while. Now, the kids no longer even own sleds because snow is such a rarity.

I guess it's all in one's perspective!

Anne Brooke said...

True! You can have ours!

:))

A
xxx

Jilly said...

We didn't get any yesterday though I think there was a small amount during the night - which has now disappeared. Like you I hate it! Hope you're feeling better.

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Jilly - we escaped then, hurrah!

A
xxx