Saturday, April 05, 2008

Macs, birds and horses

Lord H has been wondering recently about buying a Mac instead of a PC to replace one of our computers, and now it's arrived, hurrah! What a wonderful machine it is too - so scarily modern, with everything in-built. Weird. It even has Office software, so everything looks fairly similar to what we're used to. We're calling it Morris, if you're asking. It'll be Lord H's computer, but if we like it, then I suspect I'm going to get one too. Though we'll be keeping a PC, just in case. As you do. I fear the time will come, m'dears, when we'll have to get a larger flat, just to put our computers in. Lordy, but we're sad.

Anyway, today we have been to Pulborough Brooks, partly in a vain attempt to see one of the two common cranes that were there early in the week. Allegedly. Well, they're not there now! Bugger. Though we did see two red admiral butterflies, the first of the spring swallows and a great spotted woodpecker. Along with the usual suspects. Lunch was nice too - honestly, Pulborough Brooks does the best lunches ever. My mushroom soup was to die for. Though I have to admit Lord H's order of onion soup did strangely turn out to be tomato. Well, they were busy - it was difficult. And we're British so naturally we didn't complain. Not the Empire Spirit, you know.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I am trying to do the final touches to the book covers on the Goldenford website - which you can't see yet, I'm afraid, so you'll just have to trust me on that one. And I'm thinking about doing something to The Bones of Summer, but don't hold your breath. Especially as I'm being sidetracked by having to watch the Grand National, a humdinger of a race, to be sure. And, no, neither of Lord H's office sweepstake horses won. Or, as far as I could tell, even finished. It was all very exciting anyway - my, how I love a good gallop. Well, as long as I'm just watching - I was always rubbish at actually staying on the ruddy animals and never progressed much beyond an (unintentional and quite terrifying) canter. And that's quite a revelation for a country girl.

But, sigh, the final "Torchwood" of the series is over. I have to say it seemed a bit of a cop-out to me. I mean getting rid of two main characters is a no-brainer tension button and I thought they could have done rather better. I was strangely unmoved. Also, where the hell has the Jack/Ianto heat gone?? Did they decide to downplay it to save our maidenly blushes? I hope to goodness they rediscover it, should they do another series. Which, naturally, I hope they do. In the meantime, I am relying on the new "Doctor Who" for my SF/fantasy input tonight. And go for it, Catherine T! We all love a redhead! Redheads are the New Blonde.

Today's nice things:

1. Our new Mac
2. Watching the first of the swallows
3. The Grand National.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website
The old Goldenford site

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hah! We are a no-car nine-computer household here. You WILL succumb.

I was actually quite shocked that Torchwood killed off Owen and Tosh. It just seemed so wrong, somehow.

And remember - a good girl always swallows...

Anne Brooke said...

Nine computers? I'm impressed! We don't even have nine rooms!!

And you just have to find a good girl, tee hee!...

:))

A
xxx

slippingthroughtheworld said...

i was engrossed in the last Torchwood and have to admit to a couple of tears; it takes a lot to move me so i was a little impressed. but i'm not seriously committed to it - i just adore john barrymore. x

slippingthroughtheworld said...

barrymore??!! now where did that come from and what does it mean? x

Anne Brooke said...

It's aliens, Irene, aliens!!! Don't panic! I have my torch held in the official Torchwood position and I'm coming to rescue you now. Hang on in there, my gal ...

==:O

A
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

slippingthroughtheworld said...

hee hee! yeah, it could be because i watched my first ever modern dr who last night. it wasn't as bad as i'd feared, so i might watch some more. there's about five of them on bbci, i saw the first. x

Anne Brooke said...

Must admit I'm hoping the next Dr Who episodes are better than yesterday's - it was all right, but usually they're better!

A
xxx