Friday, April 11, 2008

The continuing adventures of the Golfing Marketeer

An early golf session with Marian today - before which I was greatly thrilled by the reaction of the club receptionist to Thorn in the Flesh: which was "Fantastic! I loved it! Can I have another one?" Hey, that's the kind of reader response which makes me smile! So I have promised to pop in with Pink Champagne and Apple Juice, signed naturally, when she's next in. Fabulous - it's honestly made my day.

The golf was great too - much better than last week, though I found out to my cost during the extensive showers that I didn't have my hat in my bag. Groan. So I had to resort to wearing my sun visor instead which, at the very least, gave Marian a laugh. It certainly kept the rain off my eyes, but I ended up with a wonderfully soggy wad of hair on top.

So thank goodness for my hair appointment at lunchtime today. Really, we writers never stop working, you know ... Anyway, Lynda has managed to make me look relatively human, a look which will disappear entirely when I wash my hair myself tomorrow. Sigh. For the rest of the day, I have been scribbling away on The Bones of Summer. Today it's been flowing nicely, which is certainly something I haven't been used to for a while. So another 1000 words done, bringing me up to 69,088. Hmm, not that I'm obsessed with counting of course. And I'm finding there's a strong undercurrent - okay, more like an overcurrent then - of religious bullying coming out now - it fits what's happening so I can see I'm going to have to go back and write it in from the beginning. Still, I should be used to these total overhaul edits, and I always suspected that Craig's story was going to grow exponentially as I wrote it. It's been thrilling to discover what the hell has made that boy tick. Not to mention the fact that he's been more in charge than I've been, all along - just in a quiet way so I don't think I've realised it till now. Good on you, Craig - more power to your elbow. Or rather, mine.

Tonight, I'm planning to watch more of the golf on TV - bliss! Those courses! The way they play! It's a delight to see. Also a delight was watching Ian Poulter's magnificent hole in one yesterday - and the look on his face when he realised he'd done it. Fabulous.

Today's nice things:

1. A reader response to Thorn
2. Golf
3. Getting to grips with Craig.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website
Goldenford Publishers - a new website!

2 comments:

Graeme K Talboys said...

Golf is a mystery to me (something of a drawback in Scotland), but I know the joy when writing goes well and you discover things about your own characters. Great stuff.

Anne Brooke said...

Don't tell the Scots, Graeme! And yes it is great when characters come alive. Weirdly I've discovered more about Craig since I've begun writing him in the 3rd person rather than the first. Maybe I just needed to take that step back to allow him room? It's a mystery, but a fun one anyway!

Hugs

A
xxx