Friday, April 25, 2008

Pink sheep, little balls and the running meter

Forgot to say - yesterday I let in a car from a sidestreet into the queue to get into Guildford and was much cheered by the enthusiastic waving of the young, blonde driver. She - Gawd bless 'er - was driving a white mini, complete with two pink stripes across the roof and bodywork and a fluffy, nodding pink sheep in the rear window. Fabulous. Now there's someone who knows who she is and is proud of it. I'm quite tempted by the concept of a nodding sheep myself - maybe I'll get one in ginger.

Anyway, this morning, I have played golf with Marian. Today the course was filled with men of a certain age all plodding round in calm fashion. Which was actually rather soothing. Though it didn't do much for my first hole, which was a disaster. Dahlings, I can't even talk about it. The shame is too much for me. Thank goodness I managed to find my game for the rest of the holes, and finished with a fairly reasonable score. And some near-pars too.

From there, I nipped into Godalming for a spot of shopping, as you do, and then home to face the Goldenford minutes. Which turned out to be less complicated than I'd feared actually - last night's meeting seemed to cover a range of subjects at speedy rates, but I think I managed to get it all. Or most of it anyway. We're certainly doing well in terms of getting events sorted, plus some reasonable publicity, articles, interviews etc, so things are looking up for the Golden Girls, hurrah! Much of this is thanks to our superb new part-time marketing expert, Frances, who is a lady who definitely gets things done - thanks, Frances. We even have some bookshops interested in stocking our work (Glory be!), so more power to your elbow! And our leader, the great and unique Jay Margrave, has finally started her own blog, which you can find here. So if you want to discover what really goes on in the mind of a top-class historical fiction author, now's your chance!

And I'm having great fun reading through/giving thoughts on the latest novel by the inimitable Nik Perring, While the Meter Ran. I've only just started but already I'm gripped by the sheer energy and edginess of it all. Certainly very different from Mr Perring's equally wonderful children's novels, it's somewhere between Roger Morris' Taking Comfort and Mark Wagstaff's The Canal. Which I had the pleasure of editing recently (and why haven't you got your new book on your home page yet, Mark?? Sigh!...). Though in my opinion Nik's title needs changing. To something much darker and more dangerous, I feel. Anyway, it's early days yet, but I'm looking forward to reading more.

Today's nice things:

1. Pink sheep
2. Golf
3. Nik's novel.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website
Goldenford Publishers

7 comments:

Jilly said...

Yes a pink sheep - that's definitely one for me!! As you say someone who isn't afraid to be herself.

Nik Perring said...

Thanks Anne!

I think I might change my title to Dark Lord Nik. Whaddaya think?

N :)

Anne Brooke said...

Absolutely, Jilly!

And I love that new title, Nik - I'd definitely buy that one!

:))

A
xxx

slippingthroughtheworld said...

hi anne, just to let you know, I tagged you on my blog, head over there and see what you need to do, it's a bookish meme thingy.... No obligation of course! x

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks for the thought, Irene! But I'm afraid I don't do tags!

:))

A
xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne,

I've just chucked a meme your way through tagging. Six random facts about you. See here:

http://itsacrime.typepad.com/its_a_crime_or_a_mystery/2008/04/another-meme-an.html

God the rules are excruciating to follow... Looking forward to your reply though!

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks for the thought, Rhian! This is still a tag-free zone though!

A
xxx