Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Back in the saddle ...

… groaning. Decided I was probably well enough to stagger into work today and act the martyr. Heck it’s good to have a hobby. And I do it so well. Still I managed to survive the day, catch up with the paperwork and sort out various potential meeting disasters, so I think I’ve earned my keep. But it was noticeable this afternoon that when I commenced my mammoth five minute nose-blowing exercise (no, best not to think about it too deeply, trust me), office doors were closing all round as my colleagues fled to the hills. Can’t say I blame them, to be honest.

Still, I enjoyed my first reflexology appointment of 2007 – come to think of it, this was probably what shifted my … um … blockages in the first place, so I only have alternative therapy to blame. And the Student Advice & Information people were kind enough to invite us to a belated New Year shortbread and sherry party, which went down well. Mind you, I decided to go easy on the sherry, bearing in mind I have to drive home, and my eating is up the spout anyway, what with feeling ill. Today’s food intake so far: half a bowl of cereals, three dried apricots, one chocolate and three shortbreads. Oh, and half a lake-full of Lucozade and one small sherry. Great input for the dieticians amongst us then. But no wonder I’m really hyper at the moment.

Tonight, I have to pop into Tesco to worship at the feet of the great god of materialism once more – but as Lord H has already done some shopping at lunchtime anyway, my burden is less. Hurrah! For the rest of the evening, I’ve decided not to go out to the Guildford Writers’ meeting (http://www.guildfordwriters.net) on the grounds of being unwell, so instead I’m going to be doing as little as possible and ignoring the ironing pile. Anyway, isn’t the crumpled look going to be in this year?

Oh, and some news on the publishing front – at last! I had not one, not two, but three emails from Chevonne at Flame Books (http://www.flamebooks.com) yesterday evening – all saying the same thing, mind, but, being a secretary, I do feel happier getting things in triplicate. Apparently “A Dangerous Man” is, we suspect, being printed somewhere out there (possibly) and poor Chevonne is in charge of arranging an online launch, sending out review copies and attempting (brave soul) to market it. It all sounds very modern, but heck I’m not complaining – it’s good to get any kind of communication at all. And at least with an online launch, you won’t get a hangover – though no doubt modern technology can deliver those too if need be. I of course will be as drunk as a lord, come what may, so don’t expect any sense between now and the next millennium. No change there then … No date has been suggested for this virtual event yet however, so I’ll have to wait and see once more. By the time Michael gets his small but (I hope) perfectly formed moment in the sun, I shall have an NVQ in “playing it by ear”.

And the nice Matthew Taylor at Monkey Kettle magazine has accepted one of my poems, “Anger”, for his April edition, so heck that feels good too. So it looks like if I want to get my poetry published, I have to go for extreme emotion, and ignore all the balanced stuff. Which suits my psyche then!

I've just finished the latest Robert Goddard - "Never Go Back". The usual wonderfully readable stuff - tightly plotted and with two top-class leads. But the start is confusing - too many people who all have nicknames. Why do authors do that to us?? Don't they know names are difficult enough without giving everyone two? I ask you! Still, the people get bumped off fairly regularly so the stage is thinned out at speed, thank goodness. Definitely worth a read, I'd say.

Today’s nice things:

1. Reflexology
2. Hearing from Flame Books
3. Getting a poem accepted.

Anne Brooke
http://www.annebrooke.com
http://www.goldenford.co.uk

4 comments:

Jackie Luben said...

So glad you've heard from Flame Books, Anne. And perhaps I should say that again - and again.

Jackie

Anne Brooke said...

And again, Jackie - another email last night too - but a different one this time!

==:O

A
xxx

Irene Black said...

What a relief Anne - to hear that 'A Dangerous Man' is about to get the champagne bottle treatment! And another poem success -not that that surprises me! Well done.

Hope you're feeling lots better.

Irene xx

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Irene - am getting there slowly! And it'll be virtual champagne only I imagine ...

:))

A
xxx