Monday, May 11, 2009

Reviews, poems and sniffles

Dammit, but I'm ill again. Was up at 3am having Lemsip and have taken the day off work. Fortunately, I don't think it's anything more than a sudden and rather virulent head cold so there's none of the usual nasty stuff. But it's a bit of a bummer and I feel hugely guilty as I was supposed to minute two meetings today, so it means someone else will have had to do them and everyone's up to their eyebrows with work anyway. I really can't afford to be ill. I'm hoping to be well enough for tomorrow so am medicating up to the limit. At least I'm sneezing now, which is always a good thing.

Mind you, the lovely news is that I've had two very positive reviews for Painting from Life, so that's cheering me up:

The first is from regular Livejournal reviewer, Elisa Rolle, who starts off her review like this: "Painting from Life is a story of obsession, like it should be when you are talking of art, since only a work born from an artist who suffered to create it is worthy of that name. But in an almost Dorian Gray twist, the artist of this short story takes strength from his art while his muse is slowly dying ...". The rest of her review can be read here. Thank you, Elisa!

My second review is from another regular GLBT fiction reviewer, Ann Somerville, who calls Painting from Life "a story about love in its purest form" and the rest of Ann's review can be found on the Unique Logophilos review site. Many thanks, Ann.

And, to add to the general literary rejoicing, my poem, Sun-dance, has just been published at the Ink Sweat & Tears webzine, so thank you once more, Charles, for accepting that one. Much appreciated.

For the rest of the day, I've caught up on the missed episodes of Primeval and Boy Meets Girl (the video failed to work properly as the reception was rubbish, sigh ...) - both of which were well worth it. I particularly like the way BMG is shaping up nicely to be a rather snazzy study of male/female behaviour and gender assignment, with a light touch. Nice one. Mind you, it took me a while to work out how to get the i-player on the ITV website to work, but I got there in the end.

Later I might try to squeeze in a nap before I actually have to go to bed - if you see what I mean. I think I need it. Otherwise, I'm planning absolutely nothing but an attempt to get better, hurrah.

Today's nice things:

1. Two good reviews of Painting from Life
2. Sun-dance being published
3. TV catch-ups.

Anne Brooke
Race for Life - helping women with cancer

2 comments:

Jilly said...

Next week I shall have time to catch up with all your published stories - which I have been neglecting because of lack of time. It sounds as though I have some treats in store!

Anne Brooke said...

Ooh, thank you - hope you enjoy the reads!

:))

Axxx