Monday, June 01, 2009

Poetry success, reflexology and the joy of vacation hours

Welcome to June – my birthday month, don’t you know. Sadly, it’s started with a rejection of my comedy fantasy story, so that’s something of a bummer. I shall try to send it out to a more deserving place very soon … However, the universe has been kind to me nonetheless and two of my poems, Bookshops and Kitchen lion, are published today at The Battered Suitcase webzine, so I hope both of those raise a smile for you.

In the meantime, here’s today’s meditation:

Meditation 139

You always live
on land
you do not own,

the great compensation
being the knowledge
of the secrets

of God.
Corn, wine, wool
slip through your fingers

and you wonder
how another life
might be.

We have a new lady in the office today – Clare – who’ll be dealing with new students and their settling in process. So we’re growing apace here in the twilight world of care. Apart from saying hello and making sure Clare has a desk (more Ruth’s job than mine, to be honest), I’ve been catching up with emails and attempting to sort out the plethora of meetings I appear to have on in June. All with the same people but discussing slightly different things – so I foresee a month of bewilderment and déjà vu ahead. No change there then.

Still, I was incredibly pleased to have managed to book a reflexology appointment today – haven’t been able to go for ages so it was lovely to lie down at lunchtime and have my feet rubbed. Bliss indeed. And the other joy is the University is back on vacation hours so I can leave at 5pm instead of 5.30pm. Wonderful! Funny how that extra half-hour of me-time makes all the different. On the way back I popped into see Gladys and the two of us were as quiet as ever for 15 minutes. She can only really stand me for that long – but heck who can blame her?

Tonight, it’s Springwatch and Ashes to Ashes, so an evening of slumping beckons. Just what I need. I’m also working on the latest book review for Vulpes Libris, so that’s proving a lot of fun.

Today’s nice things:

1. Poetry publication
2. Reflexology
3. Vacation hours
4. TV
5. Book reviews.

Anne Brooke - slumping for Britain, as ever ...
Cancer Research Race for Life - only 5 days to go!

No comments: