Thursday, June 11, 2009

Is there honey still for tea?...

Am delighted to say that my review of Jill Dawson's novel about Rupert Brooke, The Great Lover is now up at the Vulpes Libris review site. Additional extras are the brief appearance of my grandfather, Justin, and the strange facts of honey, teabags and soft fruit. Go on - how can you resist?...

Still on matters literary (and once again it's been a very literary day), here's today's meditation:

Meditation 149

On the most important day
water pours through air

and sweeps all the dust
away. See the streets,

houses, shops, gardens
glisten and how sunlight

repaints the morning
so your eye

can barely contain it.
Hold this in your memory;

feed on it
when night comes.


Oh and I had a super-speedy rejection from yesterday's poetry submission. Ye gods, they could barely have had time to open the file and obviously don't know class when they see it, sigh. Anyway, I've turned the whole thing round again and send the poetry back out to somewhere else a little more discerning. Ha! I hope. Mind you, I am mollified by the fact that my short story, Speaking Her Mind, is now up at the Pens On Fire site - so I hope you enjoy that. If only they could have spelt my name right, eh! Ah well ...

For the rest of today, I've written an article on the importance of setting and environment in fiction for my upcoming guest blog at the You Gotta Read review site so I hope they're okay with that. And I've written another review, this time of Elise Valmorbida's novel, The Winding Stick, for Vulpes. So a tiring but very satisfying day. Really, I could talk about books and writing until the cows started rampaging or just gave up on me entirely and went to the pub.

Tonight, I've got the second bible study looking at the Book of James (the power of speech! Equality! Fire!) at the rectory, and I've even done my reading homework, triple hurrahs for me. No guarantee I'll remember any of it by the time I get there though.

And, once I'm back, there's the last episode of Springwatch (sob!) - will the swallows fledge? And what the hell is happening to those linnets?? Plus there's a new comedy fantasy series starting out - called, bizarrely, Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire. Gosh. A title to die for indeed.

Today's nice things:

1. The Vulpes Libris review
2. Poetry
3. Short story publication
4. Article writing
5. Review writing
6. Doing battle with James
7. TV.

Anne Brooke - reviewing for Britain and wondering about the honey

5 comments:

Erastes said...

I've been addicted to Springwatch - there's been drama in the Linnet's nest today but I won't spoil it for you! *addicted to webcams*

I have seen the first episode of Krud Mundoon - it wasn't bad, a curious blend of American and English humour, Jimmy Mullville co-wrote it, but I hope it gets better. It's a good spoof of Legend of the Seeker which I just waded through on Hulu...

Anne Brooke said...

Oooh noooo!! I can't bear it! I did see something strange was posted about on the cam comments but I couldn't bear the pain!!! Tissues at the ready, I suspect ...

And I'm already donning my armour and waving my sword ready for Krod. Do you think they'll give me a part???

:))

Axxx

Anonymous said...

I love today's verse Anne. I liked your short story and I'll keep my fingers crossed for your poetry to be placed in appreciative hands. :)

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Val! Hope you're well - and I'm taking your book on holiday with me, hurrah!

:))

Axxx

Anonymous said...

Thank you Anne! hugs...that makes me tremendously happy. :)