Saturday, May 10, 2014

Mary Berry's Seed Cake and a sugar disaster

Today I tried my hand at Old-Fashioned Seed Cake, courtesy of Mary Berry. I tried it before and actually it's quite nice - though it's true to say the seeds do take a little getting used to. I particularly like the addition of candied peel, which gives it a bit of a lift.

Things I've learnt from today's baking: if you forget to put the sugar in before mixing it, then a large part of it seems to fly out of the bowl and needs to be rescued from the four corners of the kitchen. Hey ho. I did wonder why it was proving so tricky this morning - I only realised about the sugar when I went to measure out the candied peel and found the space still occupied.

I am relying on the hope that the act of baking the pesky beast in our high-energy oven might well destroy all potential nasties, but in fact we cleaned the kitchen yesterday so no doubt we will live to fight another day.

Anne Brooke
Gay Reads UK
The Gathandrian Fantasy Trilogy (gay-themed)

No comments: