Sunday, March 27, 2011

Leaving things till tomorrow ...

Life News:

Everyone, stop doing what you're doing at once and relax ... This weekend has contained the wonderfully-named International Procrastination Day, which highlights the existential wisdom of not acting instantly and putting things off till tomorrow. Ah, there's joy in inaction, you know, and the creator of this auspicious event even says we can put off celebrating the day itself, so if you didn't know it was happening, you've not missed out ...

You'll also be pleased to hear (and surely celebrating the pleasures of the last paragraph in itself) that I've finally got round to using the first of my Christmas stamps, thus ensuring the joys of the season can even last until spring, hurrah.

Thursday night, K and I had a great time seeing Guys & Dolls at Haslemere Hall, as Ruth from work was in it. It's ages since I've seen the film and I don't ever think I've seen it on stage before and it was fan-bloody-tastic. I am still humming the tunes, so well done, Ruth, and the Salvation Army hat looked worryingly good on you ... Other good news is that (double hurrahs and put out the bunting) I don't have to have the bowel cancer screening - the doctor spoke to the expert who says that apparently having an uncle who died from the disease and a mother who's survived it is not reason enough to put me on the checking list just yet. However the medical advice is that I should be screened at 55 years instead of the compulsory 60 years, so there's another thing I can put off until tomorrow, and round about 8 years of tomorrows at that.

Marian and I had a wonderful time on the golf course during one of the first glorious spring days of the season on Friday - and I even beat her for the first time in a long time too. Though, to be fair, it was rather that she lost the game with her unfortunate putting rather than me actually winning it with my amazing play - I wish, eh. Still, it was great not to have to wear my woolly hat and I think I might even have taken off my scarf at one point, well gosh.

Yesterday, K and I had free tickets for the Ideal Home Show, which I was very much looking forward to, and K less so, I think. In the end it was quite fun and certainly an eye-opener, but also very busy & exhausting and I'm not sure I'll be rushing to go again. But the cappuccino was nice. Because of the huge busyness of Saturday, today is turning out to be a total chill-out day, which is lovely. Mind you, what with the clocks going forward yesterday night, I am missing my hour, and will no doubt be trying to catch up with it all summer, hey ho.

Book News:

At Vulpes Libris, I've reviewed Serena by Ron Rash - which is a novelistic take on Macbeth, but rather diluted, I feel.

Not much else this week really. I'm slowly getting to the end of The Executioner's Cane, and I've also started a new erotic short story I'm calling For One Night Only. Still, no rush on either, I don't think - as I've learned this weekend, there's always tomorrow, eh.

The Sunday haiku is:

This first spring sunlight
leads me to the lake: mirror
of heat and comfort.


Anne Brooke

4 comments:

Jackie Luben said...

Good to know you don't have to have the examination at the moment, Anne.

Anne Brooke said...

I know! That's greatly cheered me! :))

Megan said...

more haiku loveliness Anne x

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Megan! :))

Anne
xxx