Sunday, January 02, 2011

Books, plants and trains

Book News:

I'm happy to say that both Vulpes Libris and I have been shortlisted in two separate categories for the Book Blogger Book Awards, and there's still time to vote, so all support greatly appreciated! Vulpes is in the Best Literature Blogger category and you can find me in the Best Author's Blog section. The "submit" button appears at the very bottom of the lists once you've ticked some, just in case you're wondering, as we were. Nice to be in such good company for sure.

Much to my surprise and delight, The Girl in the Painting has received its first official review, with some very thoughtful 4-star comments appearing at Three Dollar Bill Reviews - many thanks indeed, Emily, and I will be writing more of these literary feminist shorts in the future, I hope. Not to be outdone, A Dangerous Man gained a brief 4-star review at Goodreads, so many thanks, Alli, for those comments also.

For today, and possibly tomorrow also, you can get 25% discount off all my Amber Allure books so there's still time for that essential New Year bargain shopping experience. Go on, you know you want to!... And I'm continuing with the publisher edits for The Gifting so hope to get that finished within the next week or so. All things being equal.

Today's meditation is:




Meditation 476
Surely this punishment
will not last
for long

and better days
will rise once more:
may this be

our song.


And the Sunday haiku is:

This winter morning
begin the year with haiku:
my seasonal vow.


Life News:

Frankly I'm very glad to see the back of 2010. The last section of it has on the whole been quite nasty and difficult, and good riddance to it is what I say. I hope 2011 is better, the main thing being getting out of the flat and away from our tricksy middle neighbours. That's my aim for this spring and I really want to be out of it all by Easter or I may well run mad. You have been warned. Anyway, I'm trying not to think of it too much as it just makes me really upset, angry and depressed, and I don't want to go there too ruddy often really, not so early on in the year. Deep sigh.

Nicer news for this week is that K and I enjoyed our trip to Kew Gardens, though the broccoli soup was rather overwhelming, I must say. We left half of it and consoled ourselves with cake. As you do. We've also bought an orchid, a hyacinth and an African violet so at least there's something nice in the flat apart from ourselves.

And today we've had a great time with Peter & Sue (hello, both!) trundling up and down the Watercress Line and indulging ourselves with ham, egg & chips (bliss ...). Great to catch up, though I'm not convinced the photos will show any degree of sanity amongst us. Ah, the slow pace of life is definitely the best one.

Anne Brooke

6 comments:

S D Everington said...

Happy New Year, Anne. Congrats on your successes and here's to many more in 2011!

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Shanta - happy new year to you too!! :))

Jennie Marsland said...

Hi Anne. Loved your meditation and Haiku. Hope your 2011 is bright and prosperous!

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Jennie! And happy new year to you too!

Stevie Carroll said...

I liked The Girl in the Painting

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks so much for the comment, Stevie - much appreciated! And a happy new year to you :))