Sunday, August 29, 2010

House news and the vanishing Kindle

Life News:

Great imminent joy afoot in the House Department, you'll be glad to hear - it's possible that we may have an exchange date of next Thursday, with a completion date two weeks from that. At least that's what we're aiming for but, what with the bank holiday, we have yet to have that confirmed by the vendors. I'm hoping that will be okay though, as I'd ideally like to be in our new expanded house by the middle of September. Watch this space ...

Whilst waiting for all that to go through (we hope!), there's more exciting news on the Amazon Kindle front - they attempted to deliver it yesterday but we were out so I know it exists somewhere in the hemisphere and is attempting to reach me, hurrah. I imagine they'll try to deliver again on Tuesday, by which time I'll be at work, so I'm planning to ring them up early then and see if I can collect it from the despatch point in Guildford after work. I can't wait!

And I'm back at my Alexander Technique lessons - they've been off for the summer as my tutor broke her foot, poor thing, but she's well enough to restart now, so I hope my terribly stiff neck might be sorted out soon. Double hurrahs if that's the case indeed.

Yesterday, we spent a day at Mother's (hence the inability to receive my Kindle), and today we popped into the Benefice Communion service as Church returns to its routine after the usual C of E August shennanigans (sp?). Much amusement at the start of the service when the lady vicar forgot her glasses and was making please lend me some glasses signs behind the altar plus lots of giggling. Thankfully someone in the congregation swiped his wife's glasses (I assume he had permission but really who's to say ...!) and leapt into the breach. I think said wife then borrowed someone else's and so it went on. Heck we all know the service by now so we really don't need to see the words ...

Meanwhile, at The Bemused Gardener, I am bamboozled by compost and tomatoes. Probably not in that order.

Book News:

I'm happy to see that four of my short stories are in the Waterstone's Top 10 e-short stories list, so that's nice. And The Delaneys and Me managed to get to No 32 in the Amazon Gay Fiction charts, but has now dropped out entirely.

I was pleased however that Angels and Airheads gained a nice review at Three Dollar Bill Reviews, so thank you for that.

This week's meditation poems are:

Meditation 412
When preparing for war
the voice of God

sent everyone home
unbloodied and whole;

if only today
some brave politician

would stand and proclaim
a similar goal.


Meditation 413
God is so distant
sometimes

that only the thought
of gold

can act as a substitute
for love.


Meditation 414
The old paths
are not the best ones
today;

retrace your steps
another way.


This week's haiku is:

The garden rises
in my dreams: green and haunting,
whispering of leaves.

Anne Brooke
The Bemused Gardener

5 comments:

MaydayKoigo said...

Congratts on the house! :D

I can't believe they sent you an empty kindle box! If it weren't a frustration then it would be funny in a way. I'm glad it's on it's way now :)

Good luck with your lessons ^^
xxxx

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Stephanie! Well, it was just the cover, rather than an empty box, which I'd also ordered so it can look pretty - but hoping to get the innards soon!

:))

Anne
xxx

Lover of Books, Films and Good Coffee Shops Everywhere! said...

Fantastic house news Anne, bet you can't wait to start shifting furniture and expanding into the space.

Sue
X

Anne Brooke said...

Indeed we can't, Sue! :))

Anne
xxx

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Megan! So nearly nearly there - you'll hear the screams when it all goes through!! :))

Anne
xxx