Sunday, July 18, 2010

Tuluscan Six and the Time Circle

Book News:

I'm happy to say that my gay time travel short story, Tuluscan Six and the Time Circle, is now published by Amber Allure Press, and you can also read an extract here. Which at the very least proves that administrators are always needed, even in space.

I'm also pleased to say that my gay romantic short story, Tommy's Blind Date, has just been accepted for publication by Amber Allure for 12 September. That's the one I had to beat with twigs in order to make it work, but I got there in the end, thank goodness. Cover art to come.

Further news is that The Delaneys and Me is, astonishingly, still lurking about in the Amazon Gay Fiction charts, and has now actually made it to the dizzy heights of Number 52, well gosh. I was also pleased that my fantasy short short, Creative Accountancy for Beginners, gained a 4-star review at Goodreads, many thanks, Andy!

However, as always in a writer's life, not all reviews are good ones (sob!), and I've had two bad ones this week. Shaz at Rainbow Reviews really didn't like Martin and The Wolf at all, calling it shaky and poor, though thankfully quick and relatively painless. Sorry, Shaz! I am sneaking away into the forest with my tail between my legs, howling, and will endeavour to do better for you next time. Neither is Shaz on her own in her despair: the unfortunate Nixie at Ebook Addict Reviews found the taste of How to Eat Fruit deeply dissastifying and bizarre. Which, funnily enough, is I think roughly what appeared on my Geography report in my third year of secondary school. Ah happy days. Anyway, sorry to you too, Nixie, but at least it was short!

The good news is that now you can have even more of these relatively painless, yet bizarre experiences as my ebooks are now to be found in a whole new variety of locations, including Borders, and W H Smith's in the UK, via Untreed Reads, thank you, Jay! World domination will soon be mine (cue evil laughter) ...

This week's meditations are:

Meditation 391
After the temple
the palace:

from the arms
of God

to the desires
of man

where cedar trees
are torn

from their roots
unnaturally

to split the sky
again.


Meditation 392
The simple fact
of bronze

shines a slow gleam
from his eye

connecting the strange
possibility of God

with the metal’s
intricate dance.


And this week's haiku is:

History arrives
through the feet; we walk engraved
with grit, soil, water.


Life News:

I must say I've really been enjoying the Open Golf championship, though the strong winds and rain in Scotland have been playing havoc with the game, even the putting, which has been a bit off. Says she, eh - when I'm lucky if I can hole out (as it were) in 4 on the green! Anyway, I had my moment of golfing glory on Friday when I was playing with Marian as usual and was doing absolutely ruddy brilliantly, getting a whole series of fours, until the last hole when I threw it all away with an appalling seven - however, I like to think I'm following in the footsteps of poor Jean Van de Velde, who dramatically threw away the 1999 Open championship with a little paddle in the water on the 18th hole, alas. Which just goes to show that golf is indeed a totally insane game, full of insane people. No wonder I feel so at home.

And I've had my whole opinion about Mozart's Cosi Fan Tutte (which I've always hated since seeing the dreadfully dull, grey and badly acted Glyndebourne Armani version a few years back) totally altered with yesterday's marvellously new, fresh, fun and vibrant version at Glyndebourne. A revelation, my dears - I finally get it, hurrah. I also loved the challenging ending - where one couple is on the way to forgiveness and the other most certainly isn't. Great stuff. And Don Alfonso was pretty damn hot too. Lovely.

Anne Brooke
The Prayer Seeker's Journal

No comments: