Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Gifts

I'm really chuffed with the title of today's blog, I must say. And for a whole variety of reasons. First off, I'm happy to say that Two Christmases has gained another four-star rating at the Goodreads site - so thank you, Devon, for that.

I'm also equally happy to see that Salt and Gold is finally up at Amazon UK and a very reasonable price it is too. Ideal Christmas reading and, astonishingly, it can actually still be with you for Christmas if you purchase today! What could be nicer?...

And, finally on the writing front, I now have the edits back for The Gifting so I'm preparing to get my teeth into those as soon as I can. Funny how I can meander along fairly happily for ages when I'm writing, but edits have to be taken by the scruff of the neck and shaken till they give in as far as I'm concerned. Good to have something to focus on and worry away at over Christmas and New Year.

Meanwhile, goodness me but it's been jolly cold here in the shires. I went up to London after work yesterday to see Jane S-D for dinner & chat (there would have been more of us, but Jane M was snookered by a severe lack of trains from the south, and poor Anne F was ill ...), and had much fun with travel arrangements. Guildford and London seem to be the only places that didn't grind to a halt completely last night - so I was lucky to make it at all! Though I was rather started to hear, as I stood on Guildford station, that Reading was cut off from civilisation in terms of trains, and no buses or taxis were running either. Then later (much later ...), as I waited on the Northern Line platform at Waterloo, the rather charming platform announcer told us that the Northern line northbound trains would run as far as they could and then stop but he couldn't tell where that might be due to adverse weather conditions, and he therefore wished us good luck and God speed. How very courteous indeed. I certainly needed all the God speed I could muster as I slid my way across Trafalgar Square, which appeared to have turned into an ice rink. And I was wearing trainers, so goodness knows how the ladies in high heels were managing. At the end of the night, I came back via the Piccadilly Line - which was lucky as the Northern Line was apparently closed by then. And, strangely, there was once again no snow in Guildford. Perhaps we have become the eye of the storm?

As a final thought for today, Lord H and I have been much amused by a recent cartoon showing the Three Wise Men at the nativity scene. One of them is saying to the other: "Yes, I do happen to think that our journey is absolutely necessary ..." How very apt, on so many levels.

Anne's website: feeling gifted

3 comments:

Jason Shaw said...

It's lovely that it was up there on Amazon. I fully believe that in 2010, you'll get a lot more recognition for your writing.


I love and hate the snow. I had to walk home from work last Thursday, as no buses were running, nor a taxi to be had for love, money or the offer of sexual favors. So 5 miles I walked in the sillyest of shoes, ankle high in snow.

I have to say it was so lovely seeing the snow on the beach, down at waters edge. All along the prom, was such a lovely sight, however after 10 mins, with already wet and soaking feet, cold fingers aching (cuz I'm too macho for gloves!) after a 12 hour night shift from hell, fun it was not.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm now too old to enjoy snow, I like looking at it (from inside beside the fire) But outside, count me out!

Still it does give some people an early start to the Christmas break! Hmmm

Anne Brooke said...

My dear, it was obviously too cold for sexual favours - otherwise the queues (and other items) would have been enormous!!

And, really, one is never too macho for gloves. Gloves are the new beer. Or they will be in 2010. Keep dry and out of the snow. Happy Christmas!!!!

Axxxxxxxxxx

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Claudia - that's very kind of you. Lovely to get visitors :)) Axx