Monday, September 08, 2008

The start of term and a worryingly quick appointment

Into the swing of the first day of term today, though it’s still a couple of weeks till Freshers’ Week. Am rushing around chasing up the final tweaks to our programme of talks and I'm also proof-reading for Britain. Ah, if only that were an Olympic sport, eh ... Not only that but the new brochures and mini-maps have turned up and they look great. Marketing have done a fabulous job. So, for a Monday, and a Monday when we have the first of our long line of 5.30pm end-of-day times (groan), it’s not been too bad. So far …

I’ve been rather startled though by a phone call from the Hospital asking me to attend a gynaecological appointment tomorrow at 4pm. Ye gods, that’s put the wind up me. As it were. I am now rather more than jittery about it –I do so hate the unforeseen. I was expecting a letter and a long lead-in, but now I’m attempting to rejig tomorrow and fit it all in. Mind you, I suppose the good thing is that at least I’m in the system in terms of one of my two outstanding appointments. I just have to wait for the October scan date now – which strangely comes from a different department entirely. Or maybe I should just pitch a tent in the hospital foyer and create my own second home-from-home? Certainly a thought anyway.

So, with all that, I definitely needed my lunchtime reflexology session – sadly the last one until after Freshers’ Week, so I’ll have to try to hang onto the feeling of calm for as long as possible. Hmm, with my track record, that’ll be tonight then. UPDATE: it was bliss. I drifted off and really felt I was floating away but perfectly safe. Wonderful. Wish I felt like that more often.

After work, I’ll pop into see Gladys on the way home, and restock the bird-seed supply for her table. I’ll also take her some nice big tissues (we big-nosed people discount small tissues, you know – they’re worse than useless …), but she might not remember she asked for them. Ah well. UPDATE: she was okay but grumpy. Everyone in Gladys' world today is a bugger and she's not been backward in letting them know it. Neither does she do whispering. Perhaps we should form a Society of Buggers in the nursing home and just have done with it?

Tonight, I might try to do some more to Hallsfoot’s Battle, depending on how I feel. There’s always “New Tricks” to look forward to – and the ironing of course, dammit.

Today’s nice things:

1. Monday not being as bad as expected
2. Getting the first of my hospital appointments – if quicker than anticipated!
3. Writing
4. TV.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website

6 comments:

Nik Perring said...

I think the quick appointment's a good thing, Anne. It'll put your mind at rest sooner, won't it? And it shows that they're taking things seriously - which they should do. Hope it all goes well.

Nik XX

Anne Brooke said...

True! Thanks, Nik

:))

Axxx

Lover of Books, Films and Good Coffee Shops Everywhere! said...

Hope all goes well tomorrow Anne - best to get these things over with. Hope you are planning a nice treat for yourself tomorrow evening.
Sue & Peter
XXX

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Sue! And what a good idea - I feel chocolate might well be called for ...

:))

Axxx

Jilly said...

Best of luck Anne - chocolate and rescue remedy should do it! Hugs

Anne Brooke said...

Definitely, thanks, Jilly!

Axxx