Friday, March 09, 2007

Golf, Gifting and good sales

A moment of joy occurred whilst shopping in Godalming today, when I realised that I actually didn't have to buy anything expensive. Apart from more cash, of course. Just a paper, a Radio Times, a brief saunter in the High Street sun and home again. Almost makes me feel like a lady of leisure. Almost being the operative word here.

Once home, I typed up the latest pieces of "The Gifting", which has brought me to 101,000-ish words. And Simon and Johan are so nearly on the sea ... whilst being chased by ... aha! but I won't say. I don't want to spoil the surprise. Though bearing in mind my 4-year lead-in time from completion to publication, my advice is don't wait up. Ooh, shall I give Simon an unexpected tendency to seasickness? Oh yes, I think so, don't you? I suffer from it after all, so why shouldn't he? Ha! The power, the cruelty, I love it.

Had a great round of golf with Marian this morning. My tee shots were truly wicked. In the best sense. This may have something to do with the fact that the muscles in my legs have been in agony since my back exercise class/Laughter Gym day on Wednesday, and I have been forced to keep absolutely still whilst taking my shots. It certainly concentrates the mind. And just goes to show how unfit I really am. Mind you, it's giving Lord H a lot of enjoyment - I can't go up and down stairs without groaning (which is tough as we live on the 2nd floor), and don't even mention how far down one has to go before one actually arrives on the loo seat ... Arggh!!... I was almost tempted to steal Gladys' stick when I popped in to see her this afternoon, but suspect that would be viewed as Cruelty to Old Folk. She is enjoying the daffodils and being ruled by her cat, by the way, so all is as usual on the Gladys Front.

And joy! Flame Books (http://www.flamebooks.com) have emailed me to say that internet sales of "A Dangerous Man" are good, and they're hoping to start getting trade orders this month. No, sorry, I don't have a fecking clue what that really means either, and if you think I have the courage to ask, then you obviously have no inkling of my total and utter writerly cowardice. But my sales are good, people, they're good! Ye gods indeed. No idea what that means either actually, but I'm hoping it's more than two. So, many thanks to those who've bought; I hope you've enjoyed the ride.

Whilst surfing wildly, I've come across another possible outlet for "Maloney's Law" or even "Thorn in the Flesh" in the guise of the LGBT US publisher Cleis Press (http://www.cleispress.com), so John (http://www.johnjarrold.co.uk/about.html) is going to query it with them. Though I suspect there's not really enough gay sex in "M's L", and Kate's lesbianism in "Thorn" is only met in passing. In my defence, I have to say that I did have a lesbian sex scene in there originally, but then decided that she probably wouldn't do that at that particular time and in those particular circumstances after all. So I took it out. Ah well. How I cling to the wreckage of hope indeed, eh?

Hey, my internet sales are good! Did I say that already?

And I've just finished reading the Ver Poets Ten Line Poems anthology, which was (cue ego moment ...) particularly enjoyable in having my own offering, "Sundays", in it. Which did start out as an 11 line poem, and which I still think is much better as an 11 line poem, but I fiddled it to meet the competition rules. So, as you can see, I have absolutely no artistic morals whatsoever. Cue Lord H's favourite muttering: You don't like my morals? Don't worry - I have other ones ...

Oh, and we've had the street cleaned today. How nice. So 1950s. Or would be if they hadn't actually left it much dirtier than it originally was. Which is the opposite to my "Thorn" moment, I suppose.

Tonight, I shall try to show willing and do some cleaning, then I shall eat pizza, garlic bread and ice cream washed down with a gallon of white wine until my head explodes. And it's good to have a plan.

And, oh, did I tell you my internet sales are good?

Today's nice things:

1. Good internet sales
2. Good internet sales
3. Go ... lf (that got you!).

Anne Brooke
http://www.annebrooke.com
http://www.goldenford.co.uk

6 comments:

Nik's Blog said...

Yay! Congrats on the sales, Anne. And that's without me ordering my copy...yet!

Which reminds me... I'll email you!

Nik.

Anne Brooke said...

Ooh, thanks, Nik! Michael is very keen to meet you!

:))

A
xxx

Susan said...

I hear your internet sales are good Anne! Not sure where I read that now - tee hee.

Anyway, well done!

Have a great week-end basking in the knowledge that it is so :-)

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Sue! Have a great w/e.

Hey, did you hear about my internet sales? They're good ...

!!!

A
xxx

Robin said...

Congrats, congrats, congrats on the internet sales...you did say the internet sales are good? Again, Congrats!

Anne Brooke said...

Ooh, thanks, Robin! Can't imagine where you heard it from!!!

:))

A
xxx

PS Internet sales are good - did you know??!